If my retirement gets nationalized

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 151, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 151

However unlikely it may be, if 401k and iIRA money is taken over, what is the most likely way it would be handled?

Would all access to that money be cut off?

Would only the cash be cut off?

What if I own, in my ira, a real estate company? Will some goverment office actually have acces to my rental property and I might not?

2. pt199

pt199

That I hope would be a call to arms!

3. wavel

wavel

I thought you were going to ask if you would be allowed to retire.

4. da-net

da-net

People are "Sheep" today and most have no backbone and are willing to be herded by the government. Everyone living in the USA should hold their head in shame that they are willing to give up without even a modest objection what our fore fathers fought so hard to obtain for all of us. They gave up everything in their struggle to get what they have given us and we are so lazy that we are willing to let it go without a fight.

We have become the "Eloi" in H.G. Wells' tale.

5. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

Gibbon's theory

Gibbon offers an explanation for why the Roman Empire fell, a task made difficult by a lack of comprehensive written sources, though he was not the only historian to tackle the subject. Most of his ideas are directly taken from what few relevant records were available: those of the Roman moralists of the 4th and 5th centuries. According to Gibbon, the Roman Empire succumbed to barbarian invasions in large part due to the gradual loss of civic virtue among its citizens. They had become weak, outsourcing their duties to defend their Empire to barbarian mercenaries, who then became so numerous and ingrained that they were able to take over the Empire. Romans, he believed, had become effeminate, unwilling to live a tougher, "manly" military lifestyle. He further blames the degeneracy of the Roman army and the Praetorian guards. In addition, Gibbon argued that Christianity created a belief that a better life existed after death, which fostered an indifference to the present among Roman citizens, thus sapping their desire to sacrifice for the Empire. He also believed its comparative pacifism tended to hamper the traditional Roman martial spirit. Lastly, like other Enlightenment thinkers, Gibbon held in contempt the Middle Ages as a priest-ridden, superstitious, dark age. It was not until his own age of reason and rational thought, it was believed, that human history could resume its progress. Gibbon sees the primary catalyst of the empire's initial decay and eventual collapse in the Praetorian Guard, instituted as a special class of soldiers permanently encamped in a commanding position within Rome, a seed planted by Augustus at the establishment of the empire. As Gibbon calls them at the outset of Chapter V: The Praetorian bands, whose licentious fury was the first symptom and cause of the decline of the Roman empire... He cites repeated examples of this special force abusing its power with calamitous results, including numerous instances of imperial assassination and demands of ever-increasing pay.

6. You got that right!

7. da-net

da-net

just read a nice quote, thought others might enjoy reading it.

<b>

Coming from, first, Europe and, second, from a former communist country....... I almost don't believe my eyes to see how much here you believe in government and how much you don't believe in the market. This is for me a shocking experience and I have to say that very loudly.......

It seems to me that the fight for freedom — for free markets — is still the task of the day.....

I don't think that the current problem in the world — in this country — is the example of a market failure. I think it is the example of government failure. I am absolutely sure that the current crisis is the "just" price we all of us have to pay for the attempts of politicians to "play" with the markets. I am not one to say: blame the markets. No. Blame the politicians.

~ Vaclav Klaus, President of the Czech Republic and former economics professor, at the Wall Street Journal's Economics Conference.

</b>

8. Klaus is a very respected and moral individual, any person should take to heart what he says.

9. Jander

Jander

preaching to the choir around here, in my opinion..

10. kandlekid

kandlekid

true. but the choir needs a good sermon everyonce in a while, too. :)

#10     Mar 9, 2009