if I sell ITM csp expiring next friday - do I get immediately exercised?

Discussion in 'Options' started by klattermusen, Apr 9, 2021.

1. hi...

if I sell ITM puts (cash secured) expiring next friday - do I get immediately exercised? If not when?

Also ..same question but with selling puts ITM today - do they exercise immediately or last minute trading day?

thanks

2. Justrade

Justrade

NO... not immediately...
    But they CAN be exercised b4 expiry and you would have to deliver
    On expiry ... YES if expired ITM

3. guru

guru

I use TDA/ThinkOrSwim option scanner (called "Option Hacker"), which is free. I didn't see exactly a way to select only weeklies, but you can set "days to expiration" as your criteria, thus catching both monthly and weekly options expiring within a week or so.

4. hajimow

hajimow

If a stock is at $40 and you have sold the option for $35 and the price of the option is at $5.5, the exerciser would be stupid to exercise his options because he would lose $0.5. In general, it will never happen. It won't even happen in your account on the expiry date. It will happen on next day. He can exercise anytime but he won't.

5. Just to add clarification, I guess you did not mean that if the option is exercised prior to expiration that the underlying has to be delivered on expiry? Because the underlying must be delivered immediately and settles at t(now) +n, subject to settlement conventions for each market/asset class.

6. guru

guru

7. Justrade

Justrade

Clarification noted and as hajimow said NO ONE should be exercising it before expiry