IB TWS freezes before logon

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by just21, May 2, 2017.

1. just21

just21

I am not getting as far as the login box, just hangs on loading, stable and latest versions. Two separate machines in different locations. Have reinstalled. Any ideas?

2. _eug_

_eug_

I had this issue. I had to download the version without the automatic upload. Its the only way I was able to fix mine.

just21 likes this.
  3. just21

just21

Where do I get this? What version number?

4. _eug_

_eug_

just21 likes this.
  5. just21

just21

Back on. Thanks

6. whoami

whoami

I have the same problem (on Windows7).
    Solution: Open "Start Task Manager" and kill process "updater.exe." with description "TWS".

7. Ryan81

Ryan81

I get this too, but the login box does eventually show up... after several minutes. But this only happens when I'm using my internet connection at the office. At home, there is no delay.

They jacked up something in their recent updates in the last month or so. Whether it was something they put into TWS or something they put into their servers.... they broke something. Since I can eventually connect (after several minutes of waiting during login -- not exaggerating...) I won't bother with their customer support. I'm going to let others fight that battle. I don't have the energy for it :p

8. d08

d08

Sounds more like it's updating during that time. Automatic updates is a terrible idea, especially for TWS. There should be separate updates for security and everything else, only security updates could be automatic...features updates aren't critical.

9. whoami

whoami

The problem is updating by every start, the windows process just hanged.
    I found out another solution:
    - start TWS (it will hang)
    - start TWS one more time (it will see that updater.exe is running so will not try to start it again)
    - the second TWS will start normaly, the first one can be killed

10. Ryan81

Ryan81

Yeah, On my office computers and office internet connection (which exhibit the "slow to log in" problem I described in a prior post), I was getting constant errors about TWS failing to update itself over the past week or so.

This morning, I just downloaded the TWS Latest "offline installer" and tried it at the office... and boom, I was able to log in fairly quickly.... so it would seem that there actually was (is?) a problem with the older versions of TWS and they are at least partially fixed in a later update.... although the previous problems were somehow preventing the auto-update feature for me apparently...

#10     Jun 2, 2017