IB: How best to unwind Long 1 Globex Mini (NQ) and Short 10 Micros?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Aisone, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Aisone

Aisone

If I've got a position long 1 Mini and short 10 Micros, a neutral position, or vice verse, is there a way to unwind this with the TWS without taking risk and legging it?

2. Overnight

Overnight

Not through straight equity trading, because they move in unison. You'd have to use FOPS in some fashion.

Handle123 likes this.
  3. xandman

xandman

From an empty row on a sheet, select Generic Combo.

upload_2022-8-9_17-42-29.png

zghorner, MoreLeverage and Aisone like this.
  4. Aisone

Aisone

Nice, thanks xandman. I went ahead and created that after clicking on Add. Now I've got a window 'This combo can only be executed as Non-Guaranteed, do you want to create it anyway?' All good, but if I click 'Yes', will it actually add an order to the quotepage, or just insert it to transmit when ready?

5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Presently around 7pm ET, spread is 1 tick for both mini and micro. What am I missing with regards to risk?

6. Overnight

Overnight

His conundrum is if he starts unwinding his MES position a few contracts at a time, he starts losing the 1:1 parity between the two. He's trying to get out of the position without a manual legging thing which I tried in CL many years ago, which can get dicey.

I am sure there is a way with FOP, but I would not know how because options people are crazy.

Aisone and ondafringe like this.
  7. Aisone

Aisone

Yep, been down the legging road before and almost always seem to get off on the wrong foot.

I've got the Combo Order in the quotepage now and see I can use the booktrader to place the order, looks good to go. This is going to give the flexibility to adjust Mini position risk by using Micros without trading the value of a whole Mini contract at a time, and unwind when I'm at a 1:10 position ratio (neutral) at minimal cost, which should be helpful.

8. Overnight

Overnight

Be sure to post the new order and whole position if you execute the order, as I would be curious to see the new structure.

Aisone likes this.
  9. dumb question. why not just trade the micros only, and achieve the same thing

Aisone likes this.
  10. xandman

xandman

Non-guaranteed never troubled me. But, please research that.

Just keep it on your quote sheet. Right click and select Order Ticket when you are ready. Make sure you get the Buy and Sell sides figured out and not accidentally double your position. Been there, done that.

Be forewarned, IBKR defaults to you buying the offer or selling the bid. I would give a skosh over midpoint for expediency. MM has to keep the lights on.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    #10     Aug 9, 2022
    Aisone likes this.