IB demo data quality

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by bigdavediode, May 4, 2008.

1. Hi,

Does anyone know the data quality when using IB's edemo account?

Is it delayed? Is it accurate?

Thanks,
    --BigDave

2. It absolutely useless... Delayed AND innaccurate. You need the paper trader account and data. Its identical to live data...Unfortunately you need an account to access it.

3. Bob111

Bob111

use search on IB site-

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=tws&p=d&ib_entity=llc

also read about paper trading account

4. slacker

slacker

Worse than useless. Market orders fills can be 100 ticks away from the last trade during RTH. Not useful at all.

5. Bob111

Bob111

how expect it to be accurate, if you, for example, testing application for US stocks @ 3 AM ET? :)

6. Thanks for all the replies -- is there any way to get an accurate delayed feed out of IB for papertrading and API testing? (Without opening an account and locking down $10,000, of course.)

7. Bob111

Bob111

don't think so. but why you stuck on IB?
    if delayed feed is fine for you, and since you mention API, i assume you are familiar with programming-there some other choices. pick IQ feed for example,write your own application based on their delayed data(cost you about $20 a month) and use it for paper trading.

just an idea...

or you can try to find someone,who will give you access to their paper account :) imo-it will not compromise real account security.

8. JackR

JackR

I don't believe IB has any delayed feed. IB's feed is a data-sliced/regenerated real-time feed. The feeds for the paper account and the actual account are both produced using the same data gotten from the exchanges and ECNs. However, they may or may not match depending on the rate of change of the data being sent from the exchanges\ECNs and what time slice you get. There are many threads here on ET about IB's datafeed, its advantages and disadvantages

You need $10K to open an account, you do not need $10K to keep the account open. However, there are fees if you do not produce $30 in commissions each month.

Jack

9. Bob111

Bob111

on top of that, to get complete L1 data for equities-you have to subscribe for ARCA data. without it-your NBBO will be different sometimes from actual NBBO.

10. Thanks for the replies --

Bob -- "if delayed feed is fine for you, and since you mention API, i assume you are familiar with programming-there some other choices. pick IQ feed for example,write your own application based on their delayed data(cost you about $20 a month) and use it for paper trading.
    "

I'm intrigued with IQfeed, but their website is rather cryptic -- they say they support COM objects, am I to assume that they have an activex control?

IB is mindless and easy in that it's a simple DDE link to get delayed data into Excel -- is there something trivial like that for IQ feed?

On their website they list their price at $50 a month, rather than $20 -- is this a discounted, delayed price? Is it only real-time that's $50?

IB's making a mistake by doing this as I'm now going to recode away from them (since it's paper trading this particular system, I might just scrape Yahoo for delayed quotes.)

IB should want to have as many people tying their automated trading systems to their TWS, since there's a unwillingness to recode, they lock down their customers. Well, not now they don't, they force me to recode and wander off to a different broker/data supplier.

IB should only delay their quotes, there's no reason for them to corrupt the data and push away those of us who set up automated trading systems.

Just found a little PHP script to scrape Yahoo -- should anyone want it: http://www.phpbuilder.com/snippet/detail.php?type=snippet&id=163

Thanks again

#10     May 5, 2008