IB - CL market depth flashing/stuttering

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by atrocious, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Happened twice today on volume spikes (Friday 3/10) 8:42am and 12:52pm eastern

Market depth on booktrader starts flashing and stuttering, took over 2 minutes in each instance to catch up

Even if you have backup data it's dangerous because it affects any IB-held orders while the data is going bonkers

KDASFTG likes this.
  2. southall

southall

I doubt the IB trade execution servers use the retail snapshot data feed.

Zzzz1 likes this.
  3. That's partially correct, they use a raw data feed instead on their end instead of snapshots, however IB-held orders are definitely subject to these glitches when the bid/ask are completely out of sync, i.e. simulated stop orders are not triggered in a timely fashion

I don't have a screenshot but if you look at IB's time and sales on CLJ7 between 8:43:00-8:43:30 eastern it's completely out of sync with any other feed

4. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

That is absolutely incorrect. No matter what you experience on your end re IB, as long as your orders rest with IB or the exchange the orders will be submitted /matched regardless of data feed issues unless of course there is a major technology outage on the exchange side or IB's side, something I have not experienced in years.

5. He's right if you are sending limit orders and stop orders ( actual stop orders sent to cme) they will execute regardless of how shitty their datafeed is.

6. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

even in the event of IB DMA orders that rest on IB's server, unless the whole IB shabang goes down (something I have not experienced in a long long time) the orders are still being worked and child order split off and submitted to the target exchange regardless of how the data feed performs.

7. Zzz - I'm referring only to price conditional orders (i.e. an IB-held stop with a custom trigger). If IB's internal data feed is frozen at $50 for 2 minutes while it's trading at $49.90 your $49.95 sell stop won't be elected. If you go straight to NYMEX there is no problem.

My main reason for posting was just to see if anyone's data was badly out of sync during those windows.

8. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

And that I highly question. My those algorithmic strategies of mine that route to IB submit IB resting orders conditional on price (limits, stops) all the time even when price feeds were temporarily down or throughout the daily reset. Yet the orders were promptly triggered hence my insistence that the data feed clients see is definitely a different one from IB's internal feed on which it triggers conditional orders

9. Happening again several times today, each time when there is a volume spike in CL

13:42:50-13:44:00 Eastern was the latest, anyone else seeing this? Market depth completely disappears and all you see is a flashing bid/ask which is about 30 seconds behind.

10. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

But it DOES NOT affect IB held orders. For the flashing I recommend vitamin E or more sleep. It happens even to the best of us.

#10     Mar 16, 2017