I never understand shorts... Why?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by greeneveryday, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Why would short the market when it has came down almost 10K points in dow Jones?

Market looks ridiculous cheap now in terms of PE and potential earning in future... Load the boat, investors...

MY spy calls got hit today.. Down 10%...but it's all good

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

If you're talking to traders...

They may not be Shorting when you posted you're question. :D

wrbtrader

They, nooby_mcnoob and KCalhoun like this.
  3. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I keep it simple... if it goes down I sell, if it goes up I buy.

I always used to try and bottomfish and it usually ends badly. Heck I still do, lost a bit recently trying to buy oil bounce like UWT.

It's super tempting to buy what looks cheap, but like picking up hotties in nightclubs it usually ends badly lol

4. P/E ratios look cheap?!? Yeah right....they are still historically above average, and earnings haven't fully been adjusted down.

Take a look at CAPE ratio, market cap/GDP and Enterprise value/sales.....all pretty good indicators of value.....they're all still VERY high.

.sigma, Sprout, forexpreneur and 7 others like this.
  5. d08

d08

Maybe cheap in regards to past PE but not future. There's a good chance we will go lower once more before capitulation. Today is a good example, in the absence of Quadrillion dollar prop-ups by governments, market will go down in a convincing trend.

6. trdes

trdes

Here's why, because everyone and there brother does buy and hold. That's like the most standard play in the playbook. The point of TRADING (this is elite TRADER) just to make sure you're aware, is because you're looking to beat buy and hold.

Otherwise just pay some joker a management fee to watch the markets go up and down while most of them do absolutely nothing (oh and the majority still get a fee whether it goes up or down how convenient).

There's your answer.

7. jys78

jys78

This is a joke, right?

The market (any market!) moves up AND down. Why limit yourself to making (losing?!) money only part of the time?

.sigma, madbrain, avatar-ds and 3 others like this.
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

What goes up, must come down.

Advice: Trade European markets where they outlawed short selling.

9. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Great point, though I'm bearish I still trade long eg TQQQ like I did recently on market bounce.

But it's Really tough to be flexible vs stubborn, I struggle with it daily.

The only thing that helps me is to use my two day rule, since it's objective. Eg stop out/scale out for swings if they lose prior days low, scale in if they close above prior days high

10. noddyboy

noddyboy

Let me know when you change your mind.

#10     Apr 1, 2020