I just opened a small account at IB to trade e-mini's cheaply

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by TimtheEnchanter, Sep 14, 2020.

1. I have a question on orders. It seems IB does not take stop order for futures! Also, their bracket is defined but somehow underneath there is a "one cancels the other", I thought that was automatically done on bracket orders.

EDIT: I have noticed that on the order book there is an option for stop orders.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

Of course it does take stop orders.

3. Millionaire

Millionaire

IB Bracket orders are built up from regular orders. That are joined together using a parent/child sort of relationship. And then a OCA group for each part of the bracket.

I prefer this way of doing it, although i dont use IB anymore, it allows you to build up custom brackets orders when using the API in a more flexible way. Rather than in a specific way that was designed by the API developers.

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  4. I don't know...simulated trading is not working on tws (I am using Mosaic). I am short one contract and buying at the market I am still short, no matter what I do. I cannot use this with real money...

5. Millionaire

Millionaire

Are you using TWS directly, and not a third party front end?

I always developed my own front ends using the API.

I never got used to TWS always found it hard to use directly and error prone.

Although trading off the charts gui or the market depth/ladder gui seemed easier than entering orders in other ways..

comagnum likes this.
  6. I am using it directly. I will try the chart...

7. Millionaire

Millionaire

There seem to be a few youtube videos on how to use TWS probably also tutorials on the IB website.

8. I use hotkeys for order execution. I have a key for each instrument...NQ, ES, YM, RTY, and UB. Then I use Ctrl and Shift as modifiers for Buy/Sell. You can be very fast with TWS. I use the API for Excel charting.

You can also right click the position on in the portfolio window and hit close > submit to execute at the current market with a limit order.

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  9. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

It does. Go through the videos. Also Outside RTH is different in what orders work or where they sit (server) on the Simulator.

10. Use STP PRT (stop protection) orders. There you go, buddy. However you can not choose them as bracket orders directly. It is a missing feature unfortunately.

#10     Sep 15, 2020