I hope none of you racist bastards play chess.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by traderob, Jun 24, 2020.

1. traderob

traderob

In Australia we have our priorities in order. The National broadcaster (funded to the tune of a $billion a year by the taxpayers) has brought the hammer down on that evil past-time , Chess.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/d9892cf88e330f719907a786ef007862
    ABC airs interview on whether chess is racist, host says Minties are “wrong”
    The public broadcaster has aired an interview about whether chess’ rules are racist after the host slammed Minties as “wrong” for being white.

minties.jpg

Tsing Tao likes this.
  2. gaussian

gaussian

The depth of their knowledge of Chess is that the darker pieces go second so it must be racist.

It's like not a single one of them has played a game. Black loses first move initiative but can gain it back with aggressive counter-play. In fact, iirc, white starts a pawn up (in score) but equalization can occur in as little as 5 moves in competitive play.

If you swapped piece colors the disadvantage would be the same for white. That's why it's called "second to move" disadvantage and not "black colored pieces" disadvantage and also why most games are play in series so each player gets to play each side against their opponent.

The moral panic is hilarious though.

3. Overnight

Overnight

The dopes have not ever seen other chess piece colors, like white and red, or yellow and blue?

As you said, the color does not matter. The second player to move always has the attack disadvantage, which is why many plays from that side of the board become defensive set-ups.

4. It is always light and dark which could mean black/white or white/brown.

White does have the tempo in most openings but the hypermodern defenses allow white to build up the center and then attack.

I think Dark has the ability to control the game by determing which opening line White has to follow based on teh response move.

5. Overnight

Overnight

Au contraire! Which is light or dark can also depend upon your political view!

https://www.order2020chess.com/index.dtm

6. Well that is going to get confusing having to look at the base constantly when the pieces get intermingled....

7. Overnight

Overnight

Indeed, it is a silly chess set.

8. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

Uhm... try beating the black dudes who play chess in central park. They will smoke you.

9. Overnight

Overnight

Lol, what does that have to do with the conversation here?

P.S. Try the hustlers in Washington Square Park, in the southwest corner (if the tables are still there). Those guys were true sharks.

10. Played a black guy guy in Dupont Circle in D.C. who looked pretty ragged and had a joint stashed over one of his ears. My friend put up $5 for me to play him. After my ass was beat before I coudl even figure out what opening he was doing, my friend told me he is a GrandMaster who loves to play in the park and makes money giving lessons or playing people. He looked like Bob Marley's poor cousin but played numerous 5 minute chess games with a clock and was beating guys while talking to the crowd and making jokes.

#10     Jun 24, 2020
    Snarkhund and Overnight like this.