'I have been in shock': Letters reveal financial distress after Celsius, Voyager bankruptcies

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by ph1l, Jul 31, 2022.

1. ph1l

ph1l

"Prolly nothing" -- or close to it -- is what the customers will get.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/celsius-voyager-bankruptcy-stories-123654851.html

2. All these people gave their tokens to someone else for safe keeping. I absolutely don't get it. Why bother owning crypto if you are just going to trade it for a promise from someone else? If you wanted to buy promises then you didn't need crypto for that. The reason you own crypto is because you can store them in your own wallet where only you have access to it.

Good1 and johnarb like this.
  3. ET180

ET180

Not sure what happened with Celcius, but I bet it involved "loaning" crypto in exchange for a high interest rate, probably something in the range of 6-8%. People thought it was a 6-8% risk free return. Not the first time that happened.

4. Celcius was not Defi. It was a CeFi company which tried to pretend/piggy-back of DeFi in order to gain more trust and inflow of $.

But in the end, it wasn't a too-big-to-fail CeFi, so it imploded when no tax-payer's money was used to bail it out for its stupidity.

Cryptjitsu, johnarb and Good1 like this.
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I just feel bad for all the people who have lost money in crypto.... it posed as a big legit industry.

6. Yes, people gave away their crypto for a promise from Celcius. I'm not sure why losing it all is any surprise. There are tons of ways you can gamble in the same way without crypto. The promises are always different but the playbook is the oldest game in existence.

johnarb likes this.
  7. It is a "big legit industry". And just like with US dollars there are an endless number of ways to give them away. That's exactly what people did. If you simply put your bitcoin or ethereum into a private wallet you will sleep well at night and you won't lose a thing.

johnarb likes this.
  8. ajacobson

ajacobson

It may not make a difference if the trustee looks for bankruptcy clawbacks. I suspect this is why so many celebrity endorsers and whales have begun to limit their efforts and visibility. The industry will finally gain legitimacy when the US requires regulation. It is a shame if clawbacks hit small investors.

9. zdreg

zdreg

What was and the appeal of voyager and celsius?

johnarb likes this.
  10. This is the only real worry I have with spot ETFs of crypto. If the institution loses keys, or gets hacked, etc (insert other technical glitches here), you stand to lose your securities.

No one worries about their shares of Enbridge or Walmart getting sucked through a vortex of the black hole.

#10     Jul 31, 2022
    johnarb likes this.