I dont want to sound like an idiot, but...

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by cashmoney69, May 2, 2006.

1. It's my understanding that LIMIT orders are not supposed to be executed until the stock reaches a certain price.

I put in a buy limit order for AMAT at 17.90, but I was filled instantly at 17.84.. This is not supposed to happen....or is it?

- nathan

2. @lmt or better

3. mcelitetrader

mcelitetrader ET Sponsor

Your limit becomes a market order when the market reaches below your limit bid.

Alternatively, you limit offer becomes a market offer when the price rises above your order.

Look on the bright side.....you were willing to pay 17.90 for the stock and you received it for 6 cents less.

4. Surdo

Surdo

That's a new one!

A limit order NEVER becomes a market order, perhaps you are thinking of a stop order, which becomes a MKT order when it ticks @ the stop price.

Good Trading!

5. nathan-
    were you trying to catch a breakout with a limit order above the previous day's high? if so, you should have used a stop limit buy order or a stop market buy order depending on your broker.

6. rcj

rcj

.............................................................................
    Ive had this happen several times during the last
    couple of months. All NYSE i think.

From IB order types page.....

"A limit order is an order to buy or sell a contract at a specified price or better."

....... rcj

7. no, but i can tell you one thing, all these different types of orders are messing with my head :(

- nathan

8. A stop buy will attempt to execute your order when the stock reaches the price you specified, or a higher price.

A limit buy will attempt to execute your order when the stock reaches the price you specified, or a lower price.

9. eagle

eagle

To summarize what have been said in the previous posts:

BUY
    • OnStop - Triggered price must be set higher than the market price
    • Limit - At specified price or lower

SELL
    • OnStop - Triggered price must be set lower than the market price
    • Limit - At specified price or higher
    • Trailing Stops - Click on the link

Please note the OnStop once it's triggered it will become a market order. Some brokers have an option to limit the buy or sell price. For example, stock XYZ is currently traded at $5.00, a buy OnStop order is placed at $6.00 with a limit at $6.50, meaning that once the price is reached at $6.00, your broker will try to buy at the price around $6.00 but no more than $6.50.

10. Thanks both of you, that clears things up alot!. :D

- nathan
    "Life ends when you stop dreaming...hope is lost when you stop believing...and love fails when you stop caring"

#10     May 3, 2006