I can't win in this market

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ebayuser, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Are you sure you don't need to just adjust your trading model(s) or that your systems don't work under certain parameters/conditions? Did your problems start at the beginning of June? Maybe the first place to look is how your systems handle a very volatile, sideways market. Then keep drilling in from there.

But one important comment: whatever is screwing you up will probably resolve and leave you with a near ideal situation. And often it is those situations where you make your easy money. If you go on vacation, you have a good chance of missing that window of opportunity.

I think it is much more important to take a very short break and study and backtest the "why's". Why are my systems failing? What is unique about this environment that is killing me? Do I need to tweak or adjust anything?

I got the impression from your posts that you don't have the answers to those kind of questions and so I would encourage you to dig a little more. That way you are gaining knowledge that you can use the rest of your trading life.

It's the tough times where you should get the most personal growth...

#11     Jul 25, 2007
  2. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

I thought the NFL was fixed when i bet on football. i thought the blackjack tables in AC were fixed . however,i changed my mind when i won.

#12     Jul 25, 2007
  3. If it's any consolation, I'm having a tough time, too, but unlike you, mine has been going on since the start of June :(

I'm falling behind my target. Out of the last 7 weeks, 4 were flat which is very very frustrating (I count +60 as flat)

#13     Jul 25, 2007
  4. I managed to make 2k at the open today...ok, time to reevaluate. My goal for the rest of the day is to not get hurt and try to figure out the "why's"...

thanks for all the imput.

by the way, how is everyone else trading the market? any specifc sectors or indicators that anyone is using ?

#14     Jul 25, 2007

5. The dynamics of the stock market constantly change and because of this "personality change," you need to adjust you trading methods.
    One type of trading method (or system) doesn't "fit all."

Type A: (declining VIX)
    The markets can trend steady and smooth. You jump aboard trends and they last for months. "Swing and position traders" do best in this type of environment.
    This type is identified by a "declining VIX."
    Months like Sep-06 thru early Feb-07 had a declining VIX.

Type B: (rising VIX)
    The other type of market personality is identified by a
    "rising VIX."
    This accomplished by large market whipsaws from day to day. You enter a swing trade long and your stopped out by a bearish reversal whipsaw. You enter a swing trade short and your stopped out a bullish reversal whipsaw.
    "Day traders and scalpers" do best in this type of market.
    You have to be nimble and trade both directions intra-day.
    Many months from late Feb-07 to present have been like that.

My best suggestion is to keep an eye on the VIX chart and adjust your trading timeframes accordingly.

• vix.png
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
    #15     Jul 25, 2007
  6. Hey great post jeff. I never actually thought of it that way...

Unfortunetely I'm not working with 25 k yet so I don't have the opportunity to stop swing trading.

I do tend to be better in steady trending markets... although there is almost always an industry that is steady and trending even when everything else is trending and volatile.

#16     Jul 25, 2007
  7. TOM134

TOM134

ebayuser,

"......There is the plain fool, who does the wrong thing at all times everywhere, but there is the Wall Street fool, who thinks he must trade all the time. No man can always have adequate reasons for buying or selling stocks daily - or sufficient knowledge to make his play an intelligent play....."

quote from Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, (1923), by Edwin Lefevre

I hope this helps.

Tom

http://www.amazon.com/Reminiscences...9226364?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185398842&sr=1-1

#17     Jul 25, 2007
  8. taowave

taowave

That is a GREAT post and a very interesting concept ...
    Thank You,

Tao

#18     Jul 25, 2007
  9. Jeez people...

How many here do not know that *generally* rising prices => low volatility and falling prices => high volatility? Honestly now? That's very *BASIC* knowledge IMO...

And this crap about the market being "fixed"... ? HUH?

I'm laughing as I write this... to think someone actually believes that...

The level of ignorance here has reached a new all time high.

No wonder sooo many people lose in trading, nobody wants to do their homework.

DO SOME RESEARCH !

And, while you're at it - READ a finance/trading book that requires slightly more than a 3rd grade reading proficiency...

Mike

#19     Jul 25, 2007
  10. #20     Jul 26, 2007