I am a libertarian but riddle me this.....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TimtheEnchanter, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Sorry, maybe I am judgmental but if you own 40 + guns , YOU can call yourself collector but I'd call you wacko. Of course, there are many legit. collectors (dealers) out there (whom I maybe offending, who would not harm anyone).
    As a libertarian, I think we need a FBI like national gun registry (this state to state BS is so stupid. I can get residency in NV and then buy whatever I like and still live in LA area....)
    If you are like this shooter, who owned 40+ guns mostly very powerful military style weapons without a dealers license, I say F that! That insane....

I think Trump will turn left on this issue in about Jan or Feb 2018....maybe sooner...

Max E. likes this.
  2. qxr1011

qxr1011

u r not libertarian :)

AAAintheBeltway and Arnie like this.
  3. I may vote that way...and I know what and where fucking Aleppo is by the way.....

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So how many guns can someone own before you consider them a wacko? How many should a person be able to own legally?

What type of firearms?

5. qxr1011

qxr1011

it does not matter how one votes and what one knows, what matters is you want government control over your life , that is not libertarian's ideology

6. Hell, don't ask me....the asshats will come up with some rule...but it will happen, sooner or later. Trump especially will flip as he has no conviction. Ideology should never override common sense.

7. piezoe

piezoe

Actually. Arnie, IMO it is you that is not a Libertarian.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  8. Arnie

Arnie

I never claimed to be???

Are you OK?

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

OK, but you threw out what things should be. However, you can't answer important questions on those statements. As they say in the military, you are just admiring the problem.

10. piezoe

piezoe

I believe the core opposition to a national registry of fire arms and restriction of private firearm ownership to rifles and hand guns suitable for sport is coming from a belief that a well armed populace is needed to repel potential government tyranny and if all firearms were registered the government would know exactly where to go to seize them. This thinking has well documented roots going back to revolutionary times. The idea that the right to own firearms is inalienable traces back to English law from which our own laws descend. Of course neither semi-automatic nor automatic firearms existed in revolutionary times. The Majority, Heller v. D.C. decision written by Justice Scalia, which is the guiding court ruling, is very clear on the matter of whether government, under the Second Amendment, can impose some limitations on the type of firearms that citizens can own; it can! By extension, I suppose, that means the government can also regulate types of and amounts of ammunition. The decision is silent on the matter of a national registry.

The vast majority of U.S. citizens are in favor of some restrictions on the types of firearms one can own, universal background checks, and uniform laws on fire arm ownership throughout the country. One has to look beyond public opinion, therefore, for the reasons why firearm laws in the U.S. differ by location, and why every attempt to restrict firearms to only those suitable for sport has failed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    #10     Oct 4, 2017
    TimtheEnchanter likes this.