How was trading 100 years ago?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Simbad, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Simbad

Simbad

I recently read Jesse Livermore's book "How to trade in stocks". Today, we have data on the prices every seconds, even every milliseconds. How was it in Livermore's times? I remember him writing one should avoid intraday but why? Today we have so much data that one can profit from trend in intraday too.
    Did they have less data back then?

Thank you

2. ElCubano

ElCubano

It was easier to move stock/ manipulate.

3. zdreg

zdreg

read Jessie Livermore - reminisces of a trader to gain a flavor of trading in the old old days.

Spooz Top 2 likes this.
  4. southall

southall

Higher commissions and slower quotes would have made intra day trading alot harder.
    The exception was the bucket shops which appeared to price entries and exits off the 'delayed' feed.

5. Simbad

Simbad

Thanks for the recommandation, will do

6. Simbad

Simbad

Do you think that having less frequent quotes makes you think in a more long-term trend perspective?

7. comagnum

comagnum

Livermore was very outspoken on day trading, he saw it as a mugs game, and there was plenty of that even back in his day. Livermores core theme was that the big $ was made in holding wining positions as long as they are acting right, not from flipping stocks intraday.

Not trying to knock short term trading - it has it's place. I do some myself when the ducks are lined up in a row.

Livermore_Sitting.PNG

JL.PNG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

I imagine seashells were involved

9. jl1575

jl1575

No body can tell you in person. I bet.

10. maxinger

maxinger

Absolutely NO indicators were used.