How to view maintenance and initial margin of all positions?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gescob3, Apr 21, 2019.

1. gescob3

gescob3

This month IB made a change with their Margin calculations that resulted in a 20% jump in my initial margin vs what it was previously with no change in my positions.

After contacting them I was told they switched from the initial margin just being 10% over the maintenance margin to that amount or the the IB House margin for the initial and go with whichever is higher. Clearly for mine, the IB house number was much much higher.

I've tried go through my portfolio to see what is going on by right clicking on individual positions to see the impact of closing them. And I've seen that some positions now have an initial margin impact that is 3 times the maintenance margin.

I was wondering if anyone else had this experience and how they have handled it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Do you want to see a list of the margins for each position separately? Or do you want to see the total amount of all positions combined?

3. If I correctly recall, it's quite simple via a custom flex report. Downside is that you see the report for positions as of t-1 or t-2 (forgot which one). You can specify to display initial and maintenance margin for each position in the custom report unless something changed over the past few months when I last saw it. Try it out, I can't guarantee it's still there