How to test trading strategies

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Daniel Minkov, Jul 31, 2016.

1. As many investors I'm trying to test my trading strategy as much as possible. I'm little bit a mobile guy and sometimes confused how to arrange the process.
    Actually, I've tried to use this free app - bullboard (https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id1132159614). I found something familiar as yahoo.finance for instance but this app does not support backtesting and has ads.

I will try to explain how I do a simple backtesting that works fine.
    So this is my strategy: I create several portfolios in the app (intraday, swing, real IB portfolio). Search for ideas in screener looking at support/resistance levels, different types of SMA (usually 10,30,50,200 in long term) and add tickers in the right testing portfolio. You can use whatever you want. For instance finviz.com

[​IMG]

In addition, I manually add tickers from my real ib portfolio in a created portfolio (I named it Real IB) for comparison.

How my portfolios page looks like.

[​IMG]

Next, I add transaction date to estimate how strategy works on historical data

[​IMG]

Finally, I have several portfolios and and stocks that I found interesting and now I can track them all how they perform.

Hope you find it useful. Any questions or suggestions how to arrange backtesting on the go are welcome.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Luckyy likes this.
  2. CBC

CBC

Are you the creater of this app with its adds Daniel? Also for the record, traders won't usually try to backtest from their mobile, as it is a long and complicated process.

Just sounds like ur trying to peddle ur product. Ur gonna have to advertise on this site.

Also if this app can't backtest why on earth would you put it in a thread asking how to backtest.

GL.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Mike Smith and Handle123 like this.
  3. Sergio77

Sergio77

Looks like finviz.com to me

4. Handle123

Handle123

Hire some college students to learn how to trade Multi-charts or Ninja, if not worth hiring them, then you never going to get what you want unless you learn to program, it is getting much tougher to trade cause so much is now automated. And most folks on this site have their own ideas to program.

beginner66, SimpleMeLike and Luckyy like this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Seems like its not a backtesting tool. In contrast, seems like its a scanner or screener.

6. GotherL

GotherL

That's finviz alright. I visit them regularly.

7. Would you mind increasing the size of your example for us old timers ? I need at least a 1200 font to make my eyes bleed.

"Thank you"

FS

Luckyy likes this.
  8. Ashok Yarlagadda

Ashok Yarlagadda Sponsor

9. Winjak

Winjak

Is there some application for PC (I don't have mac)?
    For now I test new strategies on the demo account.

10. Ashok Yarlagadda

Ashok Yarlagadda Sponsor

Key2options is web application. You do not need to install any software. You can signup free trial at www.key2options.com

#10     Oct 4, 2016