How to gather 5 seconds bars into 5 min bars from IB's API Excel

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by luiscristhian97, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Hello,

I recently installed the IB's Excel API with VB programming language.

The strategy I'm trying to develop looks for the real-time 5 min bars for entry. So the thing to do is to accumulate these 5-seconds bars about 60 times to come up with a real-time 5 min bar, without losing the real-time activity in the bar.

I found some material about this topic in previous threads, but since I'm a beginner in programming, it would be very helpful to have your insights or some sample code I can build from.

Hopefully, I made the idea understandable for you guys

Many thanks for your support

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I presume by "bars" you mean "candles"? So, Open High Low Close?

1) I would make it work in Excel, *and*then* simplify what you need in VBasic.

2) I would build a candle from a 'landing area.' {easiest}

3) {not hard} I would build a landing area from a data-writer
    -- like, on 1-sec, IF(ISVALUE(Cell);value(Cell);N/A):
    Open = first_value
    High = @MAX(data-writer1..data-writerN)
    Low = @MIN(data-writer1..data-writerN)
    Close = last_value

{and now it get interesting...}
    4) I would build a data-writer -- a thousand different ways, depending on how much data you wish to refresh (BID, ASK, MID, LAST*, VOLUME, OPEN_INTEREST, BIDv, ASKv, LASTv, ____?)
    but use of nested IFs that look at whether --
    -- a prior cell has been "printed" before changing from N/A to that value.
    -- a prior time slot has been completed (for example, the old "End_of_Line"= "Y") idea.
    and then you drop down to print the next line (row) of values...

Just spit-ballin'. Thanks for letting me play. :)

luiscristhian97 likes this.
  3. @tommcginnis
    Thanks for your reply Tom. It gave me some insight.

So, the IB Excel API gives me the real-time 'OPEN, HIGH, LOW, CLOSE, TIMESPAN' of the security over a 5 second period (5 sec bar). Then it resets for another 5 sec period.

I was thinking about your option 2, which is [if I'm not mistaking], plotting the 5 sec data in different rows as they come in, and then simply accumulate them 60 times to make a 5 min bar

4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

In thinking about it just now, *your* comment suggests to me a possibly easy way to do it:
    divide the data-writing into two steps:
    • have the API write the full row, and then generate a signal to a "row-writer".
    • upon seeing that signal (like, "EOL"="Y"), the "row-writer" would copy ALL values to the first line of the "data-writer" {parking lot!} as described earlier, and then
    • increment the row-writer to Row-2.
    • The API, in the meantime, is free to erase the row-writer, since you've just re-written the data in the data-writer/parking-lot/accumulator.

"Bingo!"
    {and then you have to spit like Strother Martin in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid}

5. onesmith

onesmith

convert time (t) into ttm which is (time to minutes) past midnight so for instance

1am becomes 60,
    2am=120,
    3am=180 (mins past midnight) ect.

then use various combos of integer portion and fractal portion
    of the value returned by dividing ttm by 5

using the function mod(ttm,5);

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Given TWS (and the API's) issues with time and data accumulation in specific bits, having an outside imposition of time might really avoid a good number of problems. :thumbsup::thumbsup: