How much profit makes daytrading worth it (as your only job)?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by deadreader, Aug 21, 2003.

1. right! so isn't there stress not to create bs for yourself? couldn't you self-destruct?

#11     Aug 21, 2003
  2. I know some guys working at Mickey D's on the overnite shift, and they daytrade during the day. Works out good for them because they have a steady income and they can still daytrde all day. For them its not the money but the freedom. :-/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthor jobe beside trading, they will die soon.

#12     Aug 21, 2003
  3. If trading is NOT stressful, then you're probably trading in 100 share lots and losing $10 when you're wrong. When you start taking on serious positions or trade OPM (other people's money) then you'll learn what stress is. Or maybe you just have so much money that you don't give a shit and you're just trading for the entertainment value.

#13     Aug 21, 2003
  4. An educated person would not work the night shift here and trade there if he/she can get something better through their education... opportunity costs never do seem to come into play when people give advice on message boards.

#14     Aug 21, 2003
  5. Dustin

Dustin

Trading is only stressful if you aren't making enough $, if you trade other peoples money, or when mistakes/outages cost you money.

#15     Aug 21, 2003
  6. Or maybe there is a stress free trading method .
    Walter

#16     Aug 21, 2003
  7. Work evenings and nights as a gigilo and then trade during the day. As you make more money trading then you can be more selective in the evening gigs.

#17     Aug 21, 2003
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

....trading OPM ( whales ) is not as stressful as Trading with the rent money.....but i think as another poster pointed out...opportunity cost has to be factored in.... I don't care how much u love this game if you can make 200k on ur education and ur only pulling out 50k from the market after years of trading, u best reevaluate...but then of course not everyone thinks money is that important, until they have a family...:D

#18     Aug 21, 2003
  9. I have a degree and got offered a job at 40k right out of college. I turned it down to work for $8 an hour and try and make it as a trader while I pursue my ski bum career. Opportunity cost, baby.

#19     Aug 21, 2003
  10. so you're saying the only thing that matters is money? couldn't there be someone who gives up a 6 figure 'job' in exchange for trading at home with the freedom that provides even if it means earning less money? I know many many people who would kill for that.

also, education has nothing to do with making money. Are Gates or Dell 'highly educated'?

#20     Aug 21, 2003