How many strategies do you trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DTB2, Dec 8, 2018.

1. DTB2

DTB2

I'm curious as to how many different strategies most are trading.

I trade one option strategy on SPX, one option strategy on SPY and one futures strategy over several instruments.

You?

2. smallfil

smallfil

There are three major strategies, pullbacks, retracements, breakouts. I use all three when I swing trade options. Most times, you would have a couple of trades. I trade the setups I see be it pullbacks, retracements, breakouts. Of course, you have to decide which trades you will take because you cannot trade all of the setups you see!

3. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

@smallfil This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

@DTB2 care to share the general idea of the strategies?
    Ps. I am surprised no responses here, usually people are eager to share their trade ideas.

The Futures Farmer likes this.
  4. tomorton

tomorton

Actually, I've been thinking there are only two trading strategies - trend-following and reversals. So you either buy because price is rising, or you sell because price is rising. After this, the details are matters of timing (including pull-backs from trends) and finding the most recognisable dependable patterns etc.

I find it very difficult to trade full scale reversals, just doesn't suit my personality and risk tolerance. Though on a small scale I do trade reversals because I frequently look to buy into an uptrend after a short downwards pullback, so a kind of mini-reversal.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. DTB2

DTB2

SPX trade is Bittman 2 step on the weeklies

SPY trade is selling a naked put once a month at what I determine to be significant support level.

Futures trade are going long or short on pullback, then continuation. Trend filter is a Triple EMA on daily or weekly chart

6. Front Ratio SPX puts and BWBs on ES options.

DTB2 likes this.
  7. DTB2

DTB2

Just to be clear, I trade 3 strategies (successfully), is that sufficient or should I continue to develop more strategies or scale up?

I did lose a very successful strategy when XIV went away. :thumbsdown:

murray t turtle likes this.
  8. R1234

R1234

More than 30 strategies. I have a separate account for each one - allows for easy performance monitoring.

9. DTB2

DTB2

Are you manually scanning for opportunities for each strategy or automated?

Monitoring would be the easy part for me, finding the opportunities would be tough. (Part time trader)

10. R1234

R1234

It is manual but systematic. In other words I have real time data feeds coming into my calculations and I execute manually when the signals get triggered.

#10     Dec 9, 2018