How long did your IB Security Code battery last?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by beefcaketrade, Jan 21, 2017.

1. I was given one of their credit-card sized digital security devices that can fit inside the wallet.

It's been going on for 2 years now. It still works, but I'm afraid for its battery life.

I don't want down time basically. Can I pre-emptively ask for a new card to make sure I get a new battery?

How long did your battery last with continuous usage? (Of course not referring to other people with the older generation security devices that can change batteries).

2. R1234

R1234

you should ask them for the key card. It's like a credit card with printed code combinations.

3. I used mine for at least 4 years (still have it actually). I switched over to the IB Key application on my Android phone.

4. What is it used for? New guy here.....

5. It's a 2-factor authentication method.

6. luisHK

luisHK

That's only good for small accounts, limit on withdrawals is low (200k per day I think, maybe 500 in 4 days)
    OP if you are afraid of downtime on your trading, you can set your account security so you don't need the security card to log on tws. I've had mine for years btw without issues I can remember of but some people had to ask for a new card after some issue other than a dead battery.

7. ktm

ktm

I've got an old safeword platinum device. I talked to IB last year and they told me that I may actually be the oldest account to still have one. I'm not sure when I got it, but it's definitely been more than 10 years. The battery is not replaceable in this device.

When it goes, I'll probably get another device. I've already got a lot tied up with my phone and I don't mind having the extra device.

8. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Am I the only one who uses the mobile phone to authenticate? Shocked some still bother with those lookup code cards.

9. rwk

rwk

My Safeword Platinum failed (I don't remember how long ago). IB sent me the e-card as a replacement. I used the lookup cards for a few days until the e-card arrived. Tech support was excellent, so I'm not too concerned about future problems. Smartphone is an option, but it feels more vulnerable because I take it everywhere I go. The e-card just sits on my desk.
    [rwk]

dealmaker likes this.
  10. ET180

ET180

With Android, you can encrypt your phone. And Apple must be pretty secure. Remember when the FBI tried to get Apple to unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone a couple years ago? If there was an easier way...

#10     Jan 22, 2017