How do you sell a technical research subscription to a hedge fund/bank?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dima777, Feb 21, 2019.

1. dima777

dima777

Hi,
    I wonder if someone has experince selling technical research to hedge fund/banks? There are plenty of small providers which are nominated here (eg.Adcock Analysis):

https://www.technicalanalyst.co.uk/awards/winners-and-finalists/

They must have a way of doing this.

Do you just create a newlsetter and send some valuable content to such firms - some very valuable content - hoping they come and subscribe (or unscubscribe)?

This is the only option that I see now - apart from cold-calling them - or does this work as well?

zdreg likes this.
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Put it on a website so anyone can buy it. The options websites do well as does www.stockbee.com

3. dima777

dima777

thank you - we have a website but I guess more is needed

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

What is the website? Use Twitter to link back to the website.

5. If you are talented enough to want to sell your research so others can profit from it, why don't you maximize profit from it and execute trades related to findings in thesis ?

6. dima777

dima777

that is a rethoric question - if you have 100 clients steadily payign you 300 per month - this woudl be a steady 30 k income monthly - you woudl need a few million to achieve this via the tradign on SMALL risk

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

1) You a member of the Society of Technical Analysts or have been a member in the past ?

2) Have you given any in person lectures to the professional industry side for the Society of Technical Analyst or as a representive of a professional firm you worked for in the past ?

3)
    Do you have prior employment with a financial institution ?

I ask the above questions because one of the winners (James Dima) is similar to your user name dima77. If that's in fact you,

Regardless, if yes to any of the above questions...that's what you use to promote on your website. If no to all of the above...call calling will not help unless within your financial network you have a personal friend (not online friend) that can open the door for you.

In addition, I'm sure you know that most financial institutions have their own technical reseach team as in its "in house" which is something you probably are aware considering the example you mention is Adcock Analysis...an independent researcher...a member of the Society of Technical Analysts with former employement with a financial institution.

You say you have a website, mimic the website of the independent researchers like Adcock Analysis if you have similar like credentials.

Yet, call calling will only work if you have some of what those independent researchers have in their background (bio). Next, to get them as professional clients...you're going to have to offer your service for free for at least a year and then hopefully your research was used by the financial institution and they continue using your research for a fee.

Realistically, call calling (soliciting) will only generate a few professional clients even if you offer it for free. Those few will only continue using your research if its proven to be better than the research of others they are also using and you'll need to maintain a relationship with the specific professionals at those firms especially when they leave the firm and go to another firm...that's your professional social network...never publicly write about the specific individuals you're working with at those professional institutional firms.

P.S. Do not let anyone bait you into posting your website link here at Elitetrader.com (ET) even if your business is only aimed at financial institutions and not at retail traders.

P.S.S. The Society of Technical Analysts in the past has been a sore spot here at Elitetrader.com because there was a group of popular/active members here that frequently debated (argued) that financial institutions did not have a technical analyst department. A few even went as far as to say those that win the awards or finalist at the mentioned financial institutions (e.g. Goldman Sachs) do not hire employees with TA backgrounds for the sole purpose to provide TA research for the firm. Many went as far as to say that those mentioned at the awards was just for marketing purposes only to attract new investors to the financial institutions because those firms never actually use TA.

In fact, a few members of the Society of Technical Analysts stopped posting here due to the debates a long time ago.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    ajensen likes this.
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

A research firm could be doing both...they could be trading their research of specific markets but then selling their research on other markets to professional financial institutions. This is common practice among research firms.

For example, a research firm trades in fixed income markets but one of their technical analysts that specializes in equity markets then markets his/her research to financial institutions of equities while another technical analyst at the same research firm is marketing his/her research to financial institutional firms getting involved in cryptocurrencies.

Thus, some of those research firms listed as finalists of those awards have employees or analysts around the world...each analyst specializing in specific markets...all under the umbrella of one research firm.

In addition, a few research firms (the big ones) offer other products like specialized (custom) charting programs designed only for a particular financial institution, low latency data and other stuff to institutional traders of financial institutions.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Stockolio likes this.
  9. dima777

dima777

Thank you for this fantastic reply wrbtrader

Adcock is truly a member of that association and I know his analysis - pretty well done but we do some things better than him - but I am and none of the team is a member of the technical analysts association...

and we do not have contacts in the professional sphere - only a few brokerage houses - all of which are retail...

BTW I am not James Dima- he is a n award winning analyst there) we are a team of researchers from different experiences - mostly scientific.

We have been debating if we should move into the retail field - it is surely les lucrative but you can quickly find a few clients att 97 per month instead of searching for corporate clients at 397 or 497 per license.

We did a quick marketing blast to a few hundred funds - had like 100 visits from them - none of which ended up subscribing. I guess more is needed to get the commitment from the firms (one of the points in favour of going into the retail field).

For now the plan is to have a one month free trial and do the periodic technical reports to the firms (showing our best analysis) - hopefully they can subscribe to the trial,

10. dima777

dima777

as far as not using the techs - all are doign it or most as far as I know - especially in the FX, commodity fields in the bank sphere.....why would not you do that?

#10     Feb 22, 2019