How do market makers hedge their exposure?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Paccc, May 23, 2006.

1. dac8555

dac8555

Don is right...they wont get hit more than a couple of times. and it isnt that important

They dont need to hedge, They just back off their bid or offer.

for exapmle, if i am holding 50k shares, and i want to go neutral, i back of my bid and get more competitive on the offer.

as a little piece of education that doesnt really apply to nasdaq as much as other instuments like bonds...if institutions of shares/bonds very quickly...they go to the interdealer market.

#11     May 23, 2006
  2. Read "McMillan on Options", he goes into great detail of how it works.

#12     May 23, 2006
  3. Paccc

Paccc

Thanks all for your helpful responses.

Usually we think of MMs making money by taking the spread, but it seems that this would hardly be much if the market is volatile since it could move out of their favor quickly. How then, do market makers make their money?

Also, I have seen software that allows one to act as a market maker by auto-quoting a bid/offer. Some of these were advertised to do auto-hedging and risk analysis. I am curious as to how these programs function, and what types of hedging would be taking place?

Thanks for all your input.

-- Paccc

#13     May 23, 2006
  4. Paccc

Paccc

I have read that, but he focuses mainly on market makers in the derivative markets. I found his explanation to be very interesting, but it seems that it is more about the theory of it rather than making markets in practice.

-- Paccc

#14     May 23, 2006
  5. i love this sort of high-faluting mentalism. ultimately machines crash and burn when they are expected to act like people. go electronic, but keep the pits nearby.

#15     May 23, 2006
  6. Please realize that there hundreds of firms executing millions of shares everyday, from many sources. Options traders hedge with stocks, futures traders (program traders) hedge with options and stocks, mutual funds get money daily....and everyone of them attempts to use whatever routing system is showing the better pricing...or they "park" limit orders at various locations based on commission costs, etc.

Don

#16     May 23, 2006
  7. segv

segv

Where did you just come from? 1993? Were you in Mexico? I hope the weather was nice. It looks like you are a little late on the whole "electronic vs floor" discussion. While you were away, the NYSE merged with ARCA, the floor of the Pacific Exchange in San Francisco became a health club, and hordes of traders struggled to compete as they moved "off floor" around the world. Machines crash and burn? What do you think an exchange is exactly? Did you notice those little handhelds all of the floor traders seem to be carrying around with them? What do you suppose those little devices are, exactly? Keep the pits nearby? You mean the health club?

-segv

#17     May 23, 2006
  8. segv

segv

The theory of market making and the practice of market making diverge pretty quickly. In a single illiquid instrument with a monopolistic market maker, you can think about the return as a function of the bid-ask spread. The reality of modern market making is that the spread is a function of the correlations and volatilities of a huge basket. Market makers do not make markets in only one issue. They diversify the adverse selection risk among a large basket of issues, spread off against derivatives or proxies of that same basket. Again, this is the theory of market making. What components make up the basket, how the components are traded, how the risk is diversified or spread off is the practice of market making. You will not find a lot of literature on the practice of market making. If you have a quantitative or technical background, you can try to get a job at a market making firm to get exposure to the practice on a large scale.

-segv

#18     May 23, 2006
  9. segv

segv

That algorithm works fine when prices are mean reverting. Suppose that you back off the bid, but the bid gets taken. You back off again, the bid gets taken again, and your offer does not. What do you do with the risk? You can lay it off on a correlated instrument, lay it off on a derivative, keep it, or get rid of it. What do you do?

-segv

#19     May 23, 2006
  10. segv

segv

Interesting, Don, tell me more. So Goldman gives clients access to its internal ECN book?

I agree that there is more liquidity routing to NYSE. The pseudorandom order flow is still there however, you just cannot see it (lack of transparency). That all changes with real-time OpenBook, although you still cannot see the origin. Can you see origins in the Goldman book?

I moved along to derivatives quite a while ago, but the hybrid market might be an interesting place for experimentation. Maybe I should dust off the old code...

-segv

#20     May 23, 2006