How can a retail person check an FX quote during the weekend?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by lentus, Aug 23, 2019.

1. lentus

lentus

All retail platforms are closed and even some institutional; liquidity is low but there are 24/7 institutional platforms. Where can a retail person check a quote during the weekend?

2. Overnight

Overnight

Do you mean FX futures, or spot Forex? FX futures are closed on the weekend. I do not know about the spot Forex market though.

3. guru

guru

I think "Forex Weekend Gap" is called a “gap” for a reason :) Google it.

Generally Investing.com is good with updating quotes on various instruments outside of regular trading hours, but also shows Forex closed for the weekend:
    https://investing.com/currencies/eur-usd

remogul92 likes this.
  4. lentus

lentus

Spot

5. lentus

lentus

My assessment in the post is accurate. Several extremely substantial institutional platforms are open albeit with very low liqudity/volume levels.

remogul92 likes this.
  6. toc

toc

Call a bank during business hours and they might have one. After hours, you will have to call banks overseas in different time zones.

FX buying and selling goes on in weekends so prices keep on changing.

7. mm2mm

mm2mm

xe.com

8. lentus

lentus

Wow this could be legit. I wonder where they get the quotes.

9. lentus

lentus

So this is what weekend trading looks like according to XE. Seems plausible, no? ;)

upload_2019-8-25_0-50-11.png

10. bd10

bd10

Why wonder the dark alleys of weekend trading when someone may make you a market while wholesale is shut. Who knows what "price" you'll get quoted. FX volume has patterns across the week and even intraday, remember the cable drop one night a few months after the Brexit referendum? Was a fat finger during Tokyo hours. Totally illiquid plus fat finger, not a good combo. Even the CME's futures are 24/6, but I would not go outside regular biz hours of wholesale trading.

#10     Aug 28, 2019