Hope and Change.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Apr 23, 2012.

1. 1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed

By HOPE YEN | Associated Press – 9 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The college class of 2012 is in for a rude welcome to the world of work.

A weak labor market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don't fully use their skills and knowledge.

Young adults with bachelor's degrees are increasingly scraping by in lower-wage jobs — waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk or receptionist, for example — and that's confounding their hopes a degree would pay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans.

That future may be now for Kelman Edwards Jr., 24, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., who is waiting to see the returns on his college education.

After earning a biology degree last May, the only job he could find was as a construction worker for five months before he quit to focus on finding a job in his academic field.

He applied for positions in laboratories but was told they were looking for people with specialized certifications.

"I thought that me having a biology degree was a gold ticket for me getting into places, but every other job wants you to have previous history in the field," he said.

"Everyone is always telling you, 'Go to college,'" Edwards said. "But when you graduate, it's kind of an empty cliff."

http://news.yahoo.com/1-2-graduates-jobless-underemployed-140300522.html

2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

[​IMG]

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Vacation-boy.

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I was going to post "Bush's fault", and leave it at that. But something about that photo makes me laugh every single time I look at it.

5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

lol

Its like he is saying "you are so completely fucked". :D

6. Ricter

Ricter

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Hi Ricter!

How goes the rural life?

I've got a few friends who own businesses that all think that the divide between rich and poor will get wider and wider and the middle class will dwindle as that article states.

Seems like that is happening across the world.

8. Max E.

Max E.

Nice to see you back after a long hiatus Ricter!!

Hop everything is ok with you, havent seen you post i months....

9. "I thought that me having a biology degree was a gold ticket for me getting into places, but every other job wants you to have previous history in the field," he said.

This might be part of the problem. A bio degree = gold ticket ?

#10     Apr 23, 2012