Holy....that was...quite a press conference.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Videos

In Fiery, "Surreal" Press Conference, Trump Launches War On "Out Of Control" Press: Main Highlights

Pres. Trump literally addressing the press corps right now on how to make their ratings "better."

Surreal

— Ari Melber (@AriMelber) February 16, 2017

At the start of a nearly two-hour announcement, which was meant to introduce the new pick for Secretary of Labor, Alexander Acosta and promptly turned into a fiery, at times rambling back and forth with members of the press more reminiscent of his campaign speeches, President Trump rejected portrayals of chaos in his administration and claimed "incredible" progress in his first four weeks in office, lashing out at media organizations he said "will not tell you the truth."

"I'm not ranting and raving, I'm just telling you you're dishonest people," Trump told the press.

Trump opened the speech with what Bloomberg dubbed a 25-minute tirade in which he pointed to the stock market’s performance as evidence of his early accomplishments and said news organizations work "for the special interests and for those profiting off a very, very broken system." He mentioned that a Rasmussen poll found that he had 55 percent approval - Gallup’s most recent tracking poll found he had 40 percent support -- and said "the stock market has hit record numbers, as you know."

"I’m here today to update the American people on the incredible progress that’s been made the last four weeks since my inauguration," Trump said. "I see stories of chaos. It’s the exact opposite. This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine." "There’s zero chaos" he claimed, and pivoted to Obama: "To be honest I inherited a mess," Trump said. "It’s a mess. At home and abroad."

What followed was nothing short of an all out attack on the press :

"Many of our nation's reporters and folks will not tell you the truth and will not treat you with the respect you deserve," Trump said from the White House's East Room.

"Much of the media in Washington, D.C., along with New York, Los Angeles in particular, speaks for the special interests and for those profiting off the obviously very, very broken system.

"The press has become so dishonest that if we don’t talk about it, we are doing a tremendous disservice to the American people."

"The press is out of control, the level of dishonesty is out of control."

Trump discussed his popularity and how well the administration is doing...

Trump lauded a new poll from the conservative-leaning Rasmussen that found he holds a 55 percent approval rating, significantly higher than other recent polls.

Additionally noting that Mike Flynn "did nothing wrong"...

President Trump: "What Flynn did wasn't wrong." pic.twitter.com/FXUbVrXCcG

— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) February 16, 2017

Clarifying that the economy has problems and they are Obama's fault...

.@POTUS Donald Trump: "I inherited a mess"https://t.co/d7i1bwQyZS pic.twitter.com/VcR1HHYKHP

— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) February 16, 2017

“I’m here again to take my message straight to the people,” POTUS stated. “As you know, our administration inherited many problems across government, and across the economy.”

“To be honest, I inherited a mess. It’s a mess,” he added. “At home, and abroad, a mess.”

“Jobs are pouring out of the country — you see what’s going on with all of the companies leaving our country, going to Mexico and other places — low pay, low wages, mass instability over seas, no matter where you look, the Middle East, a disaster. North Korea.”

“We’ll take care of it, folks,” he reassured his audience. “We are going to take care of it all. i just wanted to let you know, I inherited a mess.”

Trump then slammed reports of his advisers and associates being in contact with Russians during campaign:

"it's all fake news."

*TRUMP: I OWN NOTHING IN RUSSIA, HAVE NO DEALS OR LOANS THERE

Some additional excerpts include:

“Drugs are becoming cheaper than candy bars”

"My administration is running like a fine-tuned machine"

.@POTUS Donald Trump tells press conference his government is "running like a finely tuned machine"https://t.co/d7i1bwyY8kpic.twitter.com/ly9X5Bjb9H

— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) February 16, 2017

"US 9th Circuit Court is in turmoil and chaos"

• *TRUMP ON TRAVEL BAN SAYS WAS SMOOTH ROLLOUT BUT BAD COURT
    • *TRUMP: DID TRAVEL BAN QUICKLY TO AVOID PEOPLE RUSHING IN
    • *TRUMP TO REVISE TRAVEL ORDER IN NEAR FUTURE, DOJ SAYS: REUTERS
    • *TRUMP ON IMMIGRATION ACTION: TAILORED TO 9TH CIRCUIT DECISION
    • *TRUMP: WE'LL SHOW `GREAT HEART' ON DACA PROGRAM
    • *TRUMP SAYS WILL HAVE TO CONVINCE PEOPLE ON DACA SOLUTION
    "The tone of media coverage is full of such hatred"

Trump: I'm changing CNN from "fake news" to "very fake news." pic.twitter.com/5ZRoDXdUNz

— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 16, 2017

"I'm really not a bad person"

"I didn't divide this country, it was divided when I got here"

"There are two Chicagos - one is posh, safe; one is crime-ridden"

"Rep. Cummings said meeting Trump would be bad for him"

"I'm the least racist person, least anti-semitic person around"

"The whole Russian thing is a ruse"

• *TRUMP: SAYS PEOPLE WOULD CHEER HIM BLOWING UP RUSSIA SHIP
    • *TRUMP: BLOWING UP RUSSIAN SUB OFF U.S. WOULDN'T BE GOOD MOVE
    • *TRUMP: PUTIN MAY ASSUME HE CAN'T MAKE DEAL W/ ME
    • *TRUMP: EASIER TO BE TOUGH ON RUSSIA, BUT WE WOULDN'T MAKE DEAL
    • *TRUMP: I UNDERSTAND WHAT RUSSIA'S DOING MILITARILY
    • *TRUMP: I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO RUSSIA DEAL; AT LEAST I TRIED
    "Nuclear holocaust would be like no other"

Trump, in discussing relations with Russia: “Nuclear holocaust would be like no other” https://t.co/34yDpCjVkZpic.twitter.com/0hUMdPg9xL

— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) February 16, 2017

Trump then touched on the topic of a Russian reset, which he explained as follows:

Here is Donald Trump talking about the uranium. pic.twitter.com/crp7WzEbVp

— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) February 16, 2017

"I watch CNN. It's so much anger and hatred and just the hatred. I don't watch it anymore"

Trump: "I watch CNN. It's so much anger and hatred and just the hatred. I don't watch it anymore" pic.twitter.com/CM8BXiTVK0

— POLITICO (@politico) February 16, 2017

"The leaks are real, the news is fake"

Trump: The leaks are real, the news is fake https://t.co/7zmrPIm8iy pic.twitter.com/CtxTQKShgC

— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 16, 2017

Finally, President Trump was called out on his 'alternative fact' about the electoral college votes.. "why should Americans trust you?"

Omg, reporter called Trump out on his lies. Oh. My. God. This guy is never getting called on again! pic.twitter.com/GEEfIo9V73

— John Aravosis (@aravosis) February 16, 2017

Summing it all up...

From a buddy of mine out west. pic.twitter.com/Ru53cFkloh

— Matt K. Lewis (@mattklewis) February 16, 2017

An extraordinary 75 minutes pic.twitter.com/9BaYyrphEU

— Steve Herman (@W7VOA) February 16, 2017

The full "unorthodox" press conference below:

MoneyMatthew likes this.
  2. Trump is correct.
    Just watching the media's tone and complete lack of respect for the office of the POTUS makes me sick.
    Especially after 8 years of the media lovefest with Obama and softball questions.

Oh, and Trump was also correct when he said to CNN (and the media in general) "nobody believes you anymore".
    TRUTH

3. Arnie

Arnie

I wonder if the MSM is sorry he took their questions?

I watched the whole thing...it was GREAT in a YUGE and BIGGLY way!!

4. Wallet

Wallet

Might have to turn on the, lol, MSM fake news tonight and watch their meltdown rants.

Should be entertaining.

5. I love, and I mean I just love his total disdain for the press. I am orgasmic as he rips into anything PC. He is entertaining to watch. All that said I don't know what positive outcome he expected to accomplish with this press conference. No new friends were made and while it's easy to say, fuck'em he needs no new friends, the fact is, yes he does. I have no idea how he will be successful, but he has a habit of being successful while being written off as a joke, and I think that fact is what has his opposition scared to death. How does he do it is the question that plagues them.

6. JamesL

JamesL

Chuck Todd: Donald Trump’s Delegitimization of Press ‘Un-American,’ ‘Not a Laughing Matter’

In a tweet sent during President Donald Trump‘s Thursday press conference, MSNBC host Chuck Todd indicated he didn’t find the bizarre hour-long back-and-forth with reporters all that humorous.

The Meet the Press host live tweeted the spectacle, at times sending tweets that indicated he didn’t believe the president was telling the truth, and that the rambling press conference would damage his relationship with Congress.

(check the comments)

7. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

Every self-respecting republican has a duty to stop paying for all media.

1) Cancel your cable, satellite and DSL television service. Cancel newspaper, magazine and book club subscriptions.

2) Get VPN service. About 5 dollars per month for a good one.

3) Install Kodi from the Playstore.

4) Install Exodus, Navi-X, SALTS and 1Channel add-ons in Kodi.

5) Stream every movie and TV show known to mankind for free. Music as well.

bullmarket79 and piezoe like this.
  8. I think Trump had to come hard at the press, after the way they have treated him and his administration. Basically, we have the media in a big conspiracy with the IC. It speaks volumes about how loathsome both are. The media actually imagine that they can pretend to be objective and above the fray? No one on either side believes that. But they want to have it both ways. To pretend to be impartial, but play hardball out of sight. We saw the Podesta emails, when media pricks were sucking up shamelessly to him.

It's not just the news or opinion outlets. Every freakin' show seems to be either be mocking Trump in the most personal terms, or feature some airhead celeb attacking him. They are desperately trying to create a persona of him with the public to justify some sort of coup.

Clubber Lang, achilles28 and traderob like this.
  9. Summary of presser:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. First month in office:

[​IMG]

#10     Feb 16, 2017
    Clubber Lang and achilles28 like this.