Historical Commodity Futures Options Data

Discussion in 'Options' started by liftoff, Feb 21, 2017.

1. liftoff

liftoff

I have been searching the web to find historical end of day price data for a number of commodity futures options and the only two places that seem to have this dataset is CRB (Commodity Research Bureau) and CSI (COMMODITY SYSTEMS INC). This will be all well and good but the prices these guys are quoting for the dataset is a little too high for me.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a different avenue to get the data like subscribing to a cheaper datafeed provider who will allow me to download the same dataset over a number of days or weeks? Or if anyone on this forum has the dataset and they are willing to share; that will be nice.

I currently have access to a TR Datastream and Bloomberg terminal, is there a feasible way I can get the historical data via these platforms besides using their paid APIs?

Thank you guys for the replies...

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

3. Dael

Dael

While I was searching for the exact dataset, the only way I found was to save manually (or parce automatically) EOD prices on the Barchart site. This is the only reasonable and totally free source for all futures options. Will be glad to hear some news on that.

4. just21

just21

5. liftoff

liftoff

6. liftoff

liftoff

I am thinking this provides only information on currently trading contracts or it is possible for me to parse their data to build a historical dataset that goes back decades?

7. liftoff

liftoff

8. Dael

Dael

Yeah, that's why I wrote about saving manually or parcing on a daily basis. I guess this won't fit your needs as you want history quotes back in the past. OK then, please share your conclusions on Quandle.

9. liftoff

liftoff

The Quandl dataset seems to be for only currently trading options contracts on popular metals and energy futures. So it is definitely something @Dael would want to check since you are doing daily saves.

10. just21

just21

The ICE database on quandl has

Intercontinental Exchange Futures Data

Futures data for softs, grains, energy products and financial instruments, with historical contracts going back decades.

The WTI v brent option goes back to 2012.

#10     Feb 21, 2017
    liftoff likes this.