Here's some weirdness for the weekend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tango29, Mar 21, 2020.

1. tango29

tango29

I was out walking the dog tonight and being a pilot and someone who enjoys a clear sky I was looking up at the stars and a couple of airliners. I then noticed a plane that looked higher up and seemed to be hauling ass. As I watch I notice another coming behind on the same path. Then I realize there was another and they just kept coming. Very evenly spaced, seemingly the same altitude, and moving pretty fast in relation to the airliner I could see going in a slightly different path. I counted 24 before it ended, and got home and had the wife come out to make sure I wasn't having a flashback. She saw the last 4 also. I called the local news station, anonymously, to see if by chance they had anyone else call in, but no such luck.
    I've never seen that before, and there are no major military air bases near us, so not sure what is going on, but hoping just a repositioning of aircraft for some reason.

TRS likes this.
  2. Next time you see something you could check on https://www.flightradar24.com/ to see the identification of those planes (as long as it is not hidden).

3. tango29

tango29

Doh! Didn't think of it at the time. I did take a look now following the general direction and I didn't see anything that resembled what I saw or even close. Had to be military, bit still odd to see that many going over, and really had the effect of moving fast.

4. wartrace

wartrace

Could it have been starlink internet satellites? The just launched one on Friday so they haven't placed them in their final orbit yet.

5. tango29

tango29

I don't know, it was at least 24 in a row I saw flying. Could have been more previous to my noticing. A buddy of mine said they should have shown on flightradar24. I didn't realize the flights out to Area 51 actually show on there. Although if it was strictly military they may have the ability to block the flight data from radar. If it was alien I'm just glad they didn't beam me up, I all ready had a colonoscopy this year and don't need another probe down under. :))

6. mlawson71

mlawson71

It likely wasn't an alien, but I am curious what they were doing.

7. tango29

tango29

Ok, another mostly cloud free night walking the dog and there it is again. No idea where in the line I started counting, but I was up to 30 aircraft. Again flying what seemed to be at a high altitude and very evenly spaced except for the 2nd last one which was about half the spacing on the one in front of it compared to the rest.
    I did open FlightAware and there was nothing except 2 airlines and a private plane. This was between 9 and 915 CST. This time instead of coming out of the north and moving southeast they were out of the west and going east and slightly north.
    I stopped and gave myself reference points to make sure it wasn't a visual illusion, and what ever was definitely moving across the sky. Probably nothing, but I have to say it does kind of make me paranoid that something maybe going on that the military is moving a fair amount of assets for some reason.

8. Take a video and post it

9. tango29

tango29

Pretty sure I found the answer. SpaceX Starlink satellites are being launched by the dozens
    There are reports from around the world seeing what I saw in the sky.
    Much better than a military build up.

10. So it looked like on this home page: https://findstarlink.com/
    That's a funny sight.

#10     Apr 22, 2020