Herb Greenberg?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Lights, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Any reason why this guy always seems to get bearish on stocks that are about to rip? He called a sell on ICE last year, stock went up 120% from there. He seems to be a good indicator.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/greenberg/

2. blast19

blast19

Read his yada yada yada on BBC in th elast 4 months...he predicted their problems that came to fruition soon thereafter. Typical analyst douche bag though for the most part.

3. zdreg

zdreg

a few examples might make this a better indicator. any other examples?

4. gaj

gaj

the fundamentals greenberg cites are, for the most part correct and come to fruition; i believe SBUX is one of his notable exceptions.

however, if you go short strictly on greenberg, you can get *crushed*.

the best example - LHSP (lernout hauspie). he had this one dead to rights a few years ago on the fundamentals. it went to zero. everything he said was right. only problem? the stock went up multiple-fold (my gut says 6 or 7-fold, but could easily be wrong) after he FIRST reported the problem. and TTWO - a greenberg fave for years and years - has had lots of oscillations, but never any great stuff.

here's why:

most reporters will not report the negative side of a stock. greenberg will, after he does his own digging. so the big players who have found a stock they think is weak fundamentally will, after they've done their own research and put on a large position, call others and let them know of it. they'll put on a large position. then they give it to greenberg.

many of greenberg's stocks (which he reports on) have 10%+ short interest *already*. many have more than that. and they also often have some sort of trend or fad behind it, which the shorts 'know' will die out.

fads and trends are high risk, high reward for shorts and longs. so greenberg reports on a stock, and it takes a short term hit. smaller players jump in and short on the 'obvious' fundamental problems. momo players or individuals in love with the fad buy the dip. it breaks out again. some smaller players freak out and cover, driving it up more, which begets more people wanting to short an obvious overvalued stock, and the cycle repeats itself.

the best way to make money off greenberg? don't bail immediately on your longs. pull up a long term chart. if a long term trend is broken, THEN sell. same for initiating a short position. because at that point, fundamentals are finally overpowering the momentum players.

short term, btw, on a 'new' name, he DOES move the stock. on an old name - like a TTWO - not so much.

5. Retief

Retief

most reporters will not report the negative side of a stock. greenberg will, after he does his own digging.

Greenturd doesn't do any digging. He writes only what Cohodes tells him to write. And what does Cohodes do? He's runs a short-oriented hedge fund and after Cohodes has established a short position, he get Greenturd to start bashing the stock.

Greenturd isn't a reporter, he's a whore. He'd screw his own mother if he thought there was a dime in her. In the TTWO situation, who was waaaay short TTWO? Cohodes. See the lawsuit that Cohodes filed against a Yahoo TTWO message board poster. See the debacle with ACAS, or the lawsuit presently pending against Cohodes by OSTK, in which Greenturd features prominently.

6. gaj

gaj

wow, i hate having to defend greenberg, BUT...

do you have *any* idea how he works? seriously? obviously not. he's given information from people, then he goes and verifies it on his own.

the rest of the first paragraph is what i said. shorts establish a position, then give him the stuff. exactly the same as happens with most reporters from the other angle, except that instead of the fund having a LONG position and hyping it, the shorters do it in reverse.

"is a whore"? really? who pays him? hint: none of the shorts. therefore, not a whore. the rest of your post is exactly what i said - he follows up the shorts' stories. but he's not getting paid by them.

btw, if you're long OSTK other than a technical bounce, you're crazy. i *so* wanted OSTK to bust EBAY for auctions, but with that nutbag CEO, they haven't a chance (see his latest actions RE: message board people who were OSTK *supporters* on auctionbytes).

7. Retief

Retief

do you have *any* idea how he works? seriously?

I know exactly how Greenturd works. Seriously.

"is a whore"? really? who pays him? hint: none of the shorts. therefore, not a whore. the rest of your post is exactly what i said - he follows up the shorts' stories. but he's not getting paid by them.

TheScam.com, trading under the ticker TSCaM. See the ACAS debacle. Greenturd bashing the hell out of the stock while employed by TSCaM with no disclosure that Rocker Partners (Cohode's fund) was majorly short the stock and a major owner of TSCaM. TTWO, same situation.

Also see the NFI scandal. Cohodes pays off Gradient to put out biased research, Greenturd touts the report and is too stupid to see the obvious errors in the report. Greenturd doesn't confirm anything. He can't. He's too stupid. He couldn't read a balance sheet to save his life.

btw, if you're long OSTK other than a technical bounce, you're crazy.

I'm not long OSTK. Just very familiar with Greenturd's MO.

8. gaj

gaj

yes, greenberg is no longer at TSCM. he's at marketwatch. has been for a couple of years, i believe.

and greenberg's methodology has been exactly the same SINCE then and was identical for years, when he was at the san francisco chronicle or on AOL. hasn't changed his method of operation, or how he does his work.

yeah, i've heard all the rocker conspiracies. miraculously, there's never been any actual "greenberg getting paid" proof (and greenberg's come out and said explicitly he HASN'T been paid by any of those, or coordinating his stories with their covering/shorting). just a lot of "my stock is great and would be worth 100* more if greenberg didn't bash it - must be the fault of those evil shorts."

somehow, greenberg's put under a more substantial light, when he does better research, than virtually any reporter who pumps a long stock.

and somehow, i'm defending a guy who doesn't make people money. you'd think that would be the criteria for attacking a guy on the msg boards...

9. Retief

Retief

there's never been any actual "greenberg getting paid" proof (and greenberg's come out and said explicitly he HASN'T been paid by any of those, or coordinating his stories with their covering/shorting).

Greenturd was employed by TSCaM, owned TSCaM stock, and bashed stocks that Rocker Partners was shorting with no disclosure that Rocker Partners was a major owner of TSCaM. That's actual Greenturd getting paid.

just a lot of "my stock is great and would be worth 100* more if greenberg didn't bash it - must be the fault of those evil shorts."

How come the SEC issued him a subpoena? ACAS was a great investment if you bought when Greenturd was bashing it, and it continues to do well.

somehow, greenberg's put under a more substantial light, when he does better research, than virtually any reporter who pumps a long stock.

Well, maybe the turd should have disclosed who owned his own ass and where his paycheck was coming from in his bash articles. But then, his bashing wouldn't have been as effective, would it?

and somehow, i'm defending a guy who doesn't make people money. you'd think that would be the criteria for attacking a guy on the msg boards...

He made Rocker and Cohodes lots of money. He made lots of money himself when he sold his TSCaM stock and bought that big fancy house in Del Mar.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I despise Greenturd. I think he writes for shit, can't read a balance sheet, is dishonest, and hope he ends up in jail where he belongs. Otherwise, I don't have anything against him.