Help with picking a new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Traderham, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Currently, I'm using a Sony Z2 laptop with it's separate external dock (Blu-Ray and video card) to run 3 external monitors and the laptop display itself (4 displays total). Here are the full specs:
    https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VPCZ21SHXX_mksp.pdf

I have two brokers. I have both platforms running all the time. These are IB's TWS and Tradestation 9.1. My 4 displays are filled with intraday charts with some technical analysis, time/sales, market depth, quotes, etc. Tradestation charts take up 3 of my displays while the horrible java based TWS takes up one display. So basically, I place most of my trades with IB, but use Tradestation's platform and data to keep track of the market (I do place some trades with Tradestation as well).

99% of the time, my laptop's processor handles everything fine. But I want 100%, not 99%. When big news hits ant the charts go crazy, Tradesation just stops. The charts move very choppy and delayed. Sometimes I see time/sales data, but charts don't move. I can't even place a trade. At the same time, IB's TWS is updating fine. But I only keep one TWS chart on the one display. I can place trades on TWS.

It's time to be proactive and get a new computer. Don't mind spending the money on a quality Dell Precision workstation with a Xeon processor, plenty of Ram, and a good video card. But I'm not sure if this will solve the problem of Tradestation software bottlenecking during that .01% of the time when the markets haul butt!

My research just leads to more confusion. Multiple cores, threads, hyper-threading and IF it's all even supported by Tradestation. I know TWS's java won't make use of the latest and greatest, but what about other brokers?

Also, since Tradestation recently dropped Forex, I may want to switch to another broker. Any other broker with a robust trading platform like Tradestation that can support multi-core/thread processors?

So...based on my needs, and wanting my computer to handle all the data 100% of the time, would it be prudent to spend the money on Xeon E5 (E7) with ECC, and tons of RAM?

2. get a ThinkPad P70 Xeon, its top of the line model:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p70/

Kind of Pricey though at $3800....I'd rather just get the Thinkpad P50 15" Xeon version with a lesser video card, memory and hard drive for only $1900 o_O ...the above model has alot of unnecessary overkill.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. I appreciate the reply, but I was asking if a quality workstation will fix the issues I outlined.

I prefer to stay with a desktop rather than a laptop. I know technology has come a long way and today's laptops (such as the Thinkpad you're showing) have specs which rival desktop workstations. But if portability is not an issue, a desktop is easier to repair, upgrade, runs cooler, and it's fans are much quieter. Also the price is a bit less than a comparable laptop. Also, my trading computer runs 24x7 and a desktop is better suited for that.

Alpha Trader likes this.
  4. bjr89

bjr89

If you need a fast PC with a great video card (and don't want to build one yourself) I'd recommend an Alienware Alpha/X51/Area-51. I know they are technically for gaming, but what's really the difference between gaming and trading?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  5. Loooppy99

Loooppy99

Are you sure you need a new computer.?
    Do you have Indicators running on Trade station that are not on TWS.?
    I have experienced this myself in the past. Turned out to be CPU greedy indicators. One in particular.
    Got rid of them.. Problem solved.

6. CBC

CBC

Graphics card won't make a difference Ham, just get a cheap "WORKSTATION" graphics card. Not a gaming 1.

Fast Ram / Cpu combo.

7. Before you buy anything, you need to understand exactly what component is causing the bottleneck. Start Task Manager switch to the Performance tab and leave that running in the background. The next time things bog down bring Task Manager back up and see what is being used at 100%. If nothing is then the issue is your network connection and a new computer isn't going to help.

i am nobody, CBC and d08 like this.
  8. Fonz

Fonz

I have IB TWS, Tradestation, Multicharts with IB (live) or FXCM (for research and backtests), FXCM, on a Dell T7500 with 4 monitors. I never have any problem. I think the key is the 8 cores and 24GB of ram helps.
    I have another desktop for everything else, like bookkeeping, Internet with Chrome...

bellman likes this.
  9. In general if you buy a newer model it supposed to be better if it has better processor and etc. I would never recomend Sony as it specificaly developed for video and music enterrtaiment. DELL qas always and still is the best choice for work. It is more expencive but quality is higher.

The two main problem with delayed data and temporary freezing programs are overloaded network and luck of RAM memory on computer. The main recommendation would be to have at least 12GB and more. If you cannot find such laptop get at least one where memory could be extended and do it by yourself - it will coat you extra $100 but it substantially improve your computer performance!!!

All new laptops have win 10 and real problem is that Win10 system is designed for entertainment and not for work and in order to use it for work especially under high pressure it is recommended to adjust it for high performance. I would highly recommend trying Apple, but if you have to stuck with Microsoft that recommendation would be to optimize the Win10 after purchase:

1. Remove all garbage manufacturer put on new computer together with system
    2. Adjust power setting for maximum network, processor and hard drive performance when running not on battery
    3. Disable all back-processes which send info to Microsoft as they say "to improve the system" - it is not just about security, it takes some network power
    4. Disable automatic Windows update - it take network power when it start downloading updates on background
    5. Disable clouds - constant synchronization takes network as well
    6. Disable search indexing - it will slow down search when you want to find something on your comp, but it improves performance substantially
    7. could b emore

10. bellman

bellman

A) there is nothing wrong with Java--it can make use of multi-threading the same as any other language.

B) there is nothing wrong with Windows 10. It can run multi-threaded and even CUDA just as well as any other OS.

Seriously people.

Why don't you look at your system resources during laggy times. It could be that you have plenty of RAM already-or not enough. Also check to see how many cores are being utilized.

#10     Apr 23, 2016