help me to choice plz

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Mina.Danaie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. I am Mina Danaie, master student in Financial Engineering, in USC University in Iran. I am looking for the topic for my final thesis. I category the topics in financial engineering from different resources(sites, conferences, My masters, My courses,… ) as follow:
    1. Behavior Finance/Market Efficiency
    2. Merger and Acquisition Activities
    3. Emerging Markets Financial Liberalization and Financial Development
    4. Private Equity and Venture Capital
    5. Credit Risk and Securitization/ Credit Assessment/Risk Management/Credit Scoring
    6. Derivatives Trading and Pricing
    7. Valuation of intellectual Property
    8. Corporate Governance
    And I try to read the last Articles on each of these topics(2007-2009), I am interested in risk management topics but I think because of my poor background in financial topics ( I studied Industrial Engineering in Bachelor) I couldn’t find the proper topic yet, I don’t know what to do???!!!
    :confused:

2. liujs

liujs

It really depends on why u r doing your masters and what job you want to get after that.

My personal choice will be

Credit Risk and Securitization/ Credit Assessment/Risk Management/Credit Scoring

Cos this is very important right now.

Emerging Markets Financial Liberalization and Financial Development and Private Equity and Venture Capital

Will be useful as more and more emerging markets including the more developed Asian economies right now seem to be promoting entrepreneurship or business development.

I will not recommend derivatives etc though. I don't think new products will be welcome during these times.

3. See comments above.
    I went the same route as you. I am doing mine on hedge fund replication. I use a new factorial model and I will had a little taste to all that.
    In my opinion you have the following choices;
    1- Do something that is interesting to you.
    2- Do something that a teacher already work on and then he can pay you or recomend you for a job.
    3- Do something that will get you a job.
    4- Do something that can lead you to further research for the PhD.
    5- Do something that can profit you (sorry, I'm a trader :) ).
    The best is to get a mix of all of the above with weighting from your choosing. I went all in with 1,2 and 5. Leaving 3 and 4 aside.
    Think in practical terms. The goal of school is to get work. Not doing some fine smart useless things.
    Read further and find something that will fit your objectives.
    If you are good in programing, high frequency trading is the hot deal on the street right not. Very lucrative.

4. Yo have to know what works better for u