Help me out!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jak5080, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jak5080

My name is Justin Katz and I am an undergraduate sophomore at Penn State University studying finance. I currently have 3.9 GPA and am now starting to look into internships for the future. I’ve always had a very strong interest in trading equity and am now leaning toward a career in some combination of either swing or day trading. Are there any successful full time traders that live around the Philadelphia area that are willing to let me come to their home/office and let me “view” what a “typical day” is like. If someone is willing to help me out that would be wonderful. I am home from school until January 12th, so any day during the week would be great. I live in Bucks County, PA (20 miles north of Philadelphia), but I am willing to drive relatively far.

I pretty much just want to get a feel for what a typical day trader does.

I’m sure most of you were in my shoes at one point in their life so please help me out!

Thank you,

2. Good luck to you Justin. Don't get your hopes up that anyone will allow you to watch them trade. Who knows, though, you may get very lucky.

Make sure to say no to any snake-oil salesmen that contact you and tell you that they have a system which will allow you to start trading right away, or that they have a chat room where you can pay and join and there are veteran traders showing people where they make their trades. Do not give any of them one cent.

It's likely that you'll have to do what everyone else has done and learn it yourself. You may get some information here re: a career in the financial services industry that will prepare you for trading.

Most of the traders here just learned it themselves and the cost of tuition is high for the majority.

Most people who come here and post like you did want the results but either have no idea how much work is necessary or aren't interested in doing it.

If you decide that you want to start learning about trading while you are finishing your degree, there is a ton of good information here. Use the search function and search for thread titles that contain the terms of interest to you, such as 'beginner'. There are several threads that give you explicit instructions as to how to develop a set of rules for trading and then how to execute them. If you spend 20 hours reading posts here over the next week, you will get an idea what the deal is with daytrading and how you can set about to learn it.

I wish you luck.
  3. I believe this is a proper analogy. The video game player can't explain how he does it and someone watching the video game player can't figure out what they are doing.

It would be useless to watch someone trade.
  4. jak5080

I'm no looking to steal someones strategy or to try and find free trade secrets. I just want to see how a normal day goes? Where to traders find the companies to even begin doing DD. What classes should I take in college that would help me? What programs are used?

Don't be so harsh, I'm just trying to learn and get a small view of what the trading world is like.
  5. You might get lucky and find a trader to show you what you want.

The book Financial Freedom Through electronic day trading gives a detailed breakdown of how the Author (Brian June) plans his trading day. The book is bit out of date in parts, but for the info you what you want its still ok.

There are also lots of videos posted on youtube showing how traders setup their trading screens..
  6. Wow, pretty emotional response. Seems like trading might not be for you. When someone posts in response to your question and gives you a bunch of good information and then wishes you luck twice, it's kind of bizarre to say

'Don't be so harsh'

I don't really think you're cut out for trading since you seem extremely defensive and this means it's likely that you're the type of person who won't take responsibility for their actions and will look outside of themselves for reasons if they fail. In trading you have to be mentally tough. If someone wishes you luck and your response is 'Don't be so harsh', I don't think you're going to do very well.

Maybe you could try to to switch your major to something like Sociology.
  7. Genije

Don't get your hopes up, and your GPA means nothing, I am not insulting just stating the fact, this is not a world you know kid.

I paid a high price for success, if you ever choose to become a good day trader so will you, and being a new guy you also don't realize I am not just talking tuition in money either
  8. jak5080

that was in response to jreynolds not the guy who wrote before him. It seems that the timing for ET posting is not "real time". That other guy was a great help. I am a business major and trading has always been a passion of mine.
  9. jak5080

Genije, I was just using my GPA to prove that I am not some schmuck from the streets but rather in the top of my class at a school that is top 15 for finance.
  10. Justin,

I'm a senior at PSU. I'm double majoring in mathematics and computer science. I've been involved in trading for over 2 years in one way or another. I can't say I've made, money, but probably broken even. I've done everything from long term investing, swing trading, options, to now futures. Let me know if you are interested in getting together and talking, I can share some of my experiences, etc... I've actually been meaning to find someone to do something with in terms of trading.

-Gera Mats
    #10     Jan 1, 2008