Help! An big error was made on my gain/loss but the brokerage does not want to fix it! Attached imag

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Steven W, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Steven W

Steven W

I did not make 113k last year. My account balance was less than 113k at end of the year so it is obvious a mistake was made. I made around 80k. I called my brokerage several times but they do not want to fix it. I do not want to pay taxes on 113k which I did not make. What can I do?

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  2. Steven W

Steven W

I also want to add all my positions were sold and closed a month before end of the year. All losses have been realized before the 1099 was sent out

3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Is this a futures or equity account 1099?
    Did you ACAT positions in or out during the year?

4. Steven W

Steven W

This is an equity account. No futures or options. I think it was FIFO

5. Who is your broker? Just so I know not to ever use them.

6. Steven W

Steven W

It is a free broker hence the bad support. Does this look like a legitimate error though? They just told me to talk to a tax advisor but my 1099 is around 7k pages since i traded about 40 times a day

singleleg likes this.
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I suggest you contact a firm like Gainskeeper. They will upload all your activity and produce a report for your taxes. You then write a letter explaining why they are different from the 1099.
    http://www.gainskeeper.com/

Good luck...Bob

VPhantom and truetype like this.
  8. Steven W

Steven W

They will still look into it? My 1099 is 7k pages and i have over 30k transactions

9. I have no idea, "free broker" sounds shitty to me, just the phrase it self.

I think the Gov will work with you if you can get the paper work straight.

Good luck!

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is what they do.

upload_2017-2-24_20-55-48.png

upload_2017-2-24_20-54-57.png

#10     Feb 24, 2017
    truetype likes this.