Home > Tools of the Trade > Backup and Security > Hello New to the Board, Router question?

Hello New to the Board, Router question?

1. Hello,
    I am new to the board, first post and have a question about whether this Router will be sufficient to insure wireless security. I started trading in the early 80's with the first home PC (IBM JR) and a 300 baud modem through Dial Data, prior to an Internet, Aol, Compuserve, Prodigy days. I have taken the last few years off from trading but I am starting back up. I have fallen behind with the current available technology but want excellent security. I have a new Dell laptop coming soon which I will use as a dedicated trading computer(No Internet) I have an old desk top with Windows 98 for the internet.

Will this ROUTER be sufficient for wireless security, does it have all the security features you need these days?

I just need the laptop to be wireless not the desktop. Will this work with an old pc and windows 98 and a new laptop? Linksys tells me it will work with the old pc and windows 98(which is what I was concerned about because some routers require 2000 or XP.
    I imagine my SBC DSL modem and the router will connect to the old windows 98 PC with an ethernet cable?and that will work to make the laptop wireless.

I am technologically unsaavy(trying to learn though).
    THANKS for any help

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1166234894847
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=8437836001B01

2. This Linksys router will meet your needs for wireless security. However it is important that you enable WPA or WEP encryption on both the router and laptop with the largest possible key possible. You also want to disable SSID broadcasts on the router and enable MAC address screening so only your laptop's MAC address can connect to the router wirelessly.

My follow-up question would be to ask why are you doing your trading using wireless. A wired ethernet connection will have less delay and better throughput. If your trading is very rapid (e.g. scalping) then using wireless may be painful. If you only make a couple of trades per day then this is a different story.

- Greg

3. Don't use a wireless connection for trading....they are very slow.

4. Agree. But if you did I wouldn't go with N. Not yet anyway. Stay with G. Kind of like most peolple are still in XP mode, not Vista.

5. Thanks for the info.
    What is SSID, MAC address?

In answer to your questions. I won't be scalping, I will be making a handful of trades daily especially initially, and I have a bad back and can't sit at a desk for long periods of time. I will likely wire the laptop but I want the flexibility to be wireless when things are slow. When things are moving fast and I am making alot of trades I will be at a desk wired. Other than that I would like to be unwired so I can lay down on the couch kick back monitor the markets, watch cnbc and securities and relax my back.

6. I ordered my laptop with an N wireless card. I want to buy an N router instead of having to buy a G and then later an N. I don't see any disadvantage to an N router. What do you see as a disadvantage to using N speedss now?

7. I'm new to networking too, but two disadvantages to getting N hardware now seem to be (1) cost, and (2) bugs/compatibility, plus the possibility of standards being different and your equipment not being able to be flashed to be current.

I'm thinking you could probably buy 11g rig now + new N stuff later for the same or less cost than getting N stuff today.... and you wouldn't be risking all the current N uncertainty.

Do the new laptops have an "N" chip or still with the b/g, but you can get an "N" card?...

8. They are not all compatible. Standard is not set. Manufacturers all went to market before the standard was set.

9. Kind of sounds like Vista, eh?

10. That N router from Linksys costs $100 so I don't have a problem with N being more expensive.
    The Laptop with the N Intel N card will operate at g or b speeds at a location(Starbucks) that isn't up to N speeds. So the N routers are backwards compatabile.

11. Let me know how that works for ya.:D

Ya, some people gotta learn the hard way.

12. Curious...

1. When you go to Starbucks and want to get onto their net, don't you need some username to do so?

2. Once on Starbucks' net, don't all the others on their net have access to read everything on your hard drive? Security of your private info risk?

13. 2.4GHz wireless frequency (802.11b-, 802.11g- and draft 802.11n-compliant)
    Up to 54 Mbps data transfer rates with Wireless-G; compatible with draft 802.11n for data transfer rates up to 12 times higher than typical 802.11g rates

The Linksys sales rep said go with an N. He didn't tell me there would be any problems with an N router. he talked about alot of benefits to it.
    Do you think he was lying to me to try and sell me something?
    So you are saying this router isn't going to work or work properly because it is an N router?
    Why won't it work?

14. I've never been in a Starbucks before. I was just using that as an example that the N router will function at locations that operate at b or g wireless speeds. Atleast that is what the Linksys sales rep told me and suggest for me to get.
    This computer will only be used for trading in my home, never from another location.

15. You need the Geek Squad.

I'm not belittling you, you should just really do some more homework. Reread what has been posted. Google some of the things you are talking about. Gnome and I both already told you there are compatibility issues and you ignored the comments. Use the search button here on ET. Do some DD.

16. I've called Best Buy geeksquad and have found them to be very poorly educated about things. When I called them about different Intel processors they couldn't tell me if the Core 2 Duo was fatser or the newer chip over the Duo Core.
    I'll pass on the Geek Squad.
    I was hoping to find some computer saavy folks here.
    I spoke with Linksys sales reps a few times and they suggested this N router.
    I didn't know I would have so many problems with it and that it would not work. I wonder why they didn't tell me about all these problems with the N routers. I guess they just lied to try and sell me something?
    Thanks for the heads up.

17. Well, "N" is the new thing. A few N's get decent reviews from Newegg buyers, but most cite deficiencies. Maybe buying N now will work out OK... maybe not.

18. Thanks
    I'll keep that in mind when I make my final router purchase. Linksys lists this router as compatible with b and G, just like the g routers are compatible with b. I didn't know there were so many problems with them. So this upgrade to N speeds standard is going to be dropped and will never result in being functional?

19. No, not dropped... but maybe significantly revised.

Current speeds on Ns is not much better than 11g. When N standard is finalized (still a long way out... 2009, at this point), speeds might be much better. However today's N hardware (1) might not be able to be flashed to work at the final standards, and (2) might not be compatible at all... that's one risk of buying today. "Not working at all" seems like only a low percentage probability, but stranger things have happened.

20. Well I can buy a Linksys G router for $49 so maybe I will just go ahead and do that for now and wait to get an N.

21. 1flyfisher,

Stay with 'N'.

Don't second guess yourself.

If [/i]Sager[/i] is selling it then it is the newest and best!

I hope this helps.

Tom

22. I was doing a little research into this and here is an article you might want to read.

802.11n Draft 2.0 gets thumbs up from Working Group

By Eric Bangeman | Published: March 13, 2007 - 09:38AM CT

Draft 2.0 of the 802.11n spec has been approved by the 802.11 Working Group, moving the increasingly popular wireless networking technology a step closer to its final form. 83.4 percent of the votes were for approval, easily surpassing the 75 percent supermajority required—a marked contrast from the early days of 802.11n, when infighting over competing technologies stalled development.
    Related Stories

* First Draft 2.0 updates arrive for 802.11n gear
    * Wi-Fi Alliance starts certifying 802.11n Draft 2.0 gear
    * Apple quietly releases 802.11n enabler
    * Speed test: Airport Extreme lives up to its name

During the voting, Draft 2.0 received over 3,000 comments, many of which were duplicates, and we're not quite yet on the road to Draft 3.0 (and subsequent final approval). The next stage will consist of minor tweaks to the text of the draft to address some of the comments before it is officially approved. The core technology, however, is all but set at this point in time.

Early on in the 802.11n ratification process, we expressed some concerns about vendors selling 802.11n products, but while some early hardware may never see the full benefits of 802.11n's speed (around 200Mbps), it should work fine with Draft 2.0-compliant gear. 802.11n support has now become de rigueur for hardware makers, with the hardware market flooded by laptops and routers trumpeting their support for the faster wireless spec.

With the positive vote from the 802.11n Working Group, the Wi-Fi Alliance will now begin officially certifying equipment as being compliant with Draft 2.0. That's an important step, as official Draft 2.0-compliant gear is guaranteed to be fully compatible with the final 802.11n standard.

The next stage in the 802.11n approval process is a sponsor ballot, and we're not quite there yet. There will be some revisions to Draft 2.0, but as the 83.4 percent approval margin demonstrates, the Working Group is quite pleased with the state of the 802.11n spec. Any changes should be very minor in scope.

After the expected minor revisions to Draft 2.0, it will go out for another round of balloting, resulting in the emergence of Draft 3.0 late in 2007. Expected to be approved in early 2008, Draft 3.0 will be "final 802.11n" in all but name. The publication of the final 802.11n spec is now expected in April 2009.

If you have been on the fence about whether to move up to 802.11n from your current 802.11b/g setup, you've got nothing to worry about from a technology standpoint. On the other hand, if you're hoping to instantly see blazing, 200Mbps or better speeds from your new 802.11n router, you may be disappointed. Several factors, such as the presence of 802.11g routers and the degree of backwards compatibility with which you operate your 802.11n router, can lead to performance that falls short of the advertised maximum speeds. Despite that, the increased range and more modest bandwidth increases make 802.11n a good bet if you're ready to upgrade.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ft-2-0-gets-thumbs-up-from-working-group.html

23. Thanks,
    I got a little worried there by some of the responses here but after reading the article(unless something has changed from the articles date) I think I made the right decision and I think this Linksys N router will be fine. In the specs for it Linksys says that it is compliant with the new N final draft 2.0 standards.

24. This PC card supports the A, B, G, and draft-N wireless standards. It should be fine. It the N does not work right out of the box then simply revert to G.

In regards to the Linksys Router, as the draft N standard evolves you may need to download new firmware for the router and re-flash it over time if you are using N and want to align with the standard as it evolves. The base hardware on this router should be fine for all expected future evolution.

Keep in mind that when you purchase a router, one of the first things you should do is to download the latest firmware to the router from the Linksys site. Normally the routers come with out-dated firmware, so I would urge you to upgrade immediately when you recieve it.

The SSID is the name you give your router. You do not want to broadcast this out of your router (this alerts all the hackers to the presence of your router). The MAC address is the hardware address of your wireless PC card. It should be a set of Hex digits that look something like this:
    00-11-25-17-48-9B or 00:11:25:17:48:9B

When you get your router you want to change the default user name, password, and SSID set by the manufacturer. Otherwise everyone on the Internet will be able to hack into it.

- Greg

25. GWB-Trading Greg and others.

Thanks for the help and the info.
    I will do what you suggest when I get the router with the SSDI and MAC address and manufacturer default settings.

I have to buy something and this router at $100 seemed the way to go instead of buying the Linksys WRT54g for $49.

The N router gets great reviews on CNEt even better than the Linksys WRT54g

http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-.../4505-3243_7-32327689.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

26. I have had the Linksys WRT54G for many years and it has done great. Most of my neighbors have purchased the N router and are quite happy.

- Greg

27. Thanks again greg for the set up information as I am security conscious but security ignorant. This WRT15N seems to have all the latest and necessary security features. That pushed me in the direction of the N router and the N card.

I had to go one direction or another with this Dell Vostro 1500 purchase. I figured getting that N card was the smart move. I originally was going to get it with a G mini card and the WRT54G but I went N.

GOOD TRADING!

28. FWIW... The Draft N routers being sold currently are 1.0.

29. Here is an extract on the LinkSys WRT159N router's firmware update:

Linksys- A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Release Date : July 11, 2007
    Current Firmware : 1.01.9
    Product PartNo : WRT150N ver. 1.x

Ver #. Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Updated to Draft 802.11n version 2.0.
    2. Updated QoS UI
    3. Updated DST for USA
    {snip}

30. Well for $99.00 I will give this Linksys WRT150N router a test drive with my new PC.

What the Heck right? It can't hurt and at that price I see no risk. If it Sucks I will kick it to the curb.

What's $99 anyways? Just pennies.

I will let you know how it goes.
    The Dell Vostro is still a few more days away.

Good Trading!
    Don't Fight the Tape!

31. Questions for gwg-trading greg or anyone else that cares to respond.
    Thanks in advance.

Well I got the WRT 150N. It is up and running with little to no problems. Occasionally I have to log in manually. This was my first wireless router and I was surprised as It was very easy to set up. They have a webbased browser that you access to make security changes and such, like mac filtering, chaning the SSID, router password, pre shared key password etc etc. Thanks again for all the help everyone as last week I didn't know what a mac address or ssid was.

I want maximum security and I have a few questions about how to do that and getting the most security from the router and using the features and tweeking it best to configure it for max security.

So far I changed the default SSiD to a new name. I will change this from time to time.

QUESTION:I disabled the SSID broadcast. When I boot up it logs me in to my network automatically and on "connect to a network" it shows the name of my network there and says connect to (with the SSID name of my network). I am assuming that my SSID is NOT shown to others correct? That my network SSID name is just shown to me on the "connect to network" screen?
    It also shows an SSID of "UNNAMED NETWORK" and when I have to log in manually I log into "UNNAMED NETWORK" and then it shows up as Connected to and the name of my SSID. So is this definately not being broadcast?
    And Do I need to make the SSID name a lengthy one for security purposes or can it be short?

I also set up MAC Filtering to just enable my mac address.
    The security mode I chose is PSK2 with AES encryption which I undestand is newer and better than WEP.
    Under that security mode I can create a "Pre Shared Key/password" which is the password for logging into the network. I changed that from the default to a 14 numbers and letters password.

QUESTION: Do I need to make this longer than 14 characters? I am not sure how many I can put in there. But when I have to log in manually more than 14 would be a pain.

There is a password that I have to enter to access my web browser settings to make changes to the router ....a router password.
    QUESTION I have this password at 14 characters of letters and numbers Do I need to make this longer?

Thanks.

32. I have used linksys for years, the 99 router is part of my home network and works fine. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Now to more important things, have you gone fishing lately? Where do you live, and what are you catching?

33. I flyfish alot. But not the last few weeks. I am getting this laptop setup and a trading account started. Kinda a back to work time for me as I have been away from trading securities the last few years. I started trading a LONG time ago but got burnt out. I flyfish the CA Sierra's out of the Lake Tahoe area. Primarily alot of lakes for rainbows and browns. Very good flyfishing here. I go to baja and flyfish for Tuna, Sails, Dorado and Marlin etc rooster fish etc. I do alot of flyfishing all over...Montana, Idaho, Utah, Alaska etc. Fresh and Saltwater Flyfishing whatever.

34. I have been trying to get some answers to my questions from Linksys. WARNING, they are complete idiots. You will get directed to some overseas Technical Support MORON that knows less than a rock about configuring a wireless router.
    Don't waste your time on the phone with Linksys, read the CD manual or ask a question here.

35. Great to hear...just got back from Alaska...Gustavus fishing for halibut, silver and king's, awesome time, even had a whale play with us a bit. Swam right under the boat and surfaced on the other side. Utah and AZ were great fishing the last few times I was there, I always found it interesting that sometimes, the rainbows I caught, were the same size as some of the bait I used out on the ocean. I just enjoy getting out, away from all the crowds, enjoying the clean air, cool breezes, and chasing fish. Anyway...great to hear from another angler and good luck with your trading!

36. I will try to answer your questions below the best that I can based on the available information.

It appears that your SSID is not being broadcast. Only you are seeing it on your local laptop, others will not be seeing it (based on your summary).

It is best to be sure that your SSID is not something common (like your pet's name, etc.). Having an SSID that includes 10 or more symbols and is unique (not a common word).... is good.

Setting MAC filtering is important and will keep others out of your network.

PSK2 is secure and a password length of 14 characters is good (assumming the password is unique and not a common word/phrase).

I agree with you that the off-shore customer support on many of these consumer products can use improvement.

- Greg

37. Fourteen is more than adequate if the 14 are not something easily found by a "dictionary" attack. That is, you've not chosen something like "establishments". Use non-real words or combos like "NYse16aSE/\a^" My example is a little extreme but a combination of uppercase/lowercase and special characters is very strong. The combos possible are 14 to the power of the number of keys (and shifts) on your keyboard.

Once everything is up and runnning you'll rarely have to enter your router password. I would not make it the same as any other password, Write it down in your router book. If you forget it you'll have to reset your router. That will clear all your settings and restore the default LinkSys password and router settings and you'll have to re-setup up everything. A most annoying experience if you did not write down all the changes you made to the default settings.

If I correctly remember what I read some time ago about the SSID and the latest PSK2 encryption, the two work together somehow during your wireless login from your laptop. They both must match even though the SSID is not broadcast.

I'd suggest you check the firmware version of "802.11N" protocol you are running and if the unit you purchased is running 1.0 go to the LInkSys site and download the 2.0 version. Upgrading may wipe out all the settings you've just installed, but reloading now will probably save you aggravation/trouble in the future.

Jack

38. thanks guys,

I'll stick with the 14 character passwords for now, maybe I'll increase the length later on.
    I downloaded the latest firmware and it kept my prior settings so i didn't have to go back and fix that, although that takes a second to do.

I downloaded avast av.
    Do you guys just remove Norton entirely off your systems? Every time I boot up that damn Norton window comes up trying to get me to install it.
    Any other good freeware besides Avast I should consider using?