Hedging Vega

Discussion in 'Options' started by LanceJ, Aug 5, 2019.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ

Can I have some ideas about how to hedge Vega of Dow index options (DIA)
    Futures or Options. Hedge ratios.
    Thanks

2. If you can't do this simple math then you should not be in the business of trading options. Plain and simple.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ

Is there a Dow Volatility Futures contract?

4. What are you trying to take exposure to? You want to hedge Vega then why do you want to trade options? If you want a clear answer then you need to ask clear questions.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ

If you are unsure about the answers, just wait a bit, someone smart will teach us something. I'm trying to hedge Vega while having exposure to direction... If I think volatility is high, but would like to buy options for directional exposure, I do not want to get crushed when the volatility falls.

6. Hedging vega isn't easy at the retail level. If you want as close to a strictly directional position as possible, trade the underlying or very DITM options. Trading the future will offer that tasty leverage as well.

7. If you think vol is high then SELL options for directional exposure. Sell OTM puts or OTM put verticals if you think we're going to rally, Sell OTM calls or OTM call verticals if you think we're going to keep going lower. That's if you think IV is high.

8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

If you want this exposure then you should just buy shares.

You can’t hedge out Vega exposure without closing the actual line. Everything else will introduce skew or term structure risk.

There is no point to owning options if you don’t want exposure to volatility (realized or implied) and practically speaking You can’t just have realized vol exposure without corresponding Vega exposure without taking on all sorts of basis risk.

Philo Judeaus and vegamedic like this.
  9. LanceJ

LanceJ

Thank you for the insight. I was just looking for something to hedge volatility in a similar way to hedging delta.
    I would like to buy options from a Vega-neutral position. Volatility goes down, I'm covered. Volatility goes up, I gain the additional Vega from the opening position.

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Practically you cannot do this.

#10     Aug 9, 2019