Has anyone lost their edge/system b/c too many people knew?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by xburbx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. xburbx

xburbx

The thread has taken a bit of a turn, but I think the turn was a good one to explore. Is anyone opposed to the thoughts of an ES system the has a fixed target/fixed stop that is say 2pts/2pts and a winning percentage of 65%? It takes the discretion out of the trade, but that seems to be against what most people seem to agree with. If you choose to use discretion in a system like that, I would imagine you have to be very fast in making the exit decision if you are trying to get out before the stop is hit. Anyone trade like that?

#41     Mar 22, 2009
  2. Great post, who cares if they don't believe you.

The proof is in your trading.

#42     Mar 22, 2009
  3. i heard MACD used to work :D

#43     Mar 22, 2009
  4. Choice is an illusion, made between those with power, and those without.

- The Merovingian

#44     Mar 22, 2009
  5. bone

bone

The bad side to ET is that what was once a serious thread gets sidetracked by petty sniping.

#45     Mar 22, 2009
  6. xburbx

xburbx

comes with the territory of opening a thread, unfortunate

#46     Mar 22, 2009
  7. Things got left too late,that's all.Your currency will crash and you can trade from the park bench,maybe?

#47     Mar 22, 2009

8. It still does, used correctly, to spot divergences/reversal as intended on daily/weekly time frames - but not as the bastardized intraday line-crossing trigger that people try and mash it into.

#48     Mar 22, 2009
  9. spindr0

spindr0

I disagree. I found an edge in mildly illiquid stocks that has worked quite well for 10 months. Though I can't prove it, I believe that it would end if more people stated chasing them since more liquidity brings more players in at narrower prices. The advantage of the wider pricing is that buyers and sellers are further apart and price jumps around more on low volume. I believe the edge will end if the markets settle down since the volatility will revert back to normal levels. But I'd love to be wrong about the latter :)

#49     Mar 22, 2009

10. This is not an edge, it is just a coin-toss gamble on volatility.

#50     Mar 22, 2009