Has anyone gotten a better Interactive Brokers margin for shorting?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Risepoint1879, Feb 20, 2019.

1. It seems like their regular margin is 25%, but for shorting it's 30%, and sometimes 40% or higher. Has anyone seen them be flexible on this, if there's a track record of not being reckless?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. d08

d08

It's much higher than 40% for many equities. 80% and 100% is very common these days. Doubt you will get any improvement with them, their margin requirements have been getting stricter every year and effectively you can soon expect only 2:1 or less intraday.

3. MACD

MACD

Consider a hedged position which I have found to lower margin requirements. It may not fit your style of trading but works for me to obtain margin relief.

4. ET180

ET180

If the underlying has options, would a put debit spread fulfill your needs? Whenever I want to short something and hold for more than a day, I first look to selling calls or buying a put spread if the underlying is volatile.

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

They can't offer more leverage than allowed by FINRA, only less. To do better you need to qualify for a Portfolio Margin account. That maxes out for equities at 15%.

6. If you are searching for low margins, then Interactive Brokers are not the best brokerage for that. Interactive Brokers have low fees and a lot of instruments but low margins are better found elsewhere at places such as Saxo Bank and Exante.

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Buying puts would provide more leverage than shorting.

ET180 likes this.
  8. Low margins or margin rates? Margin rates - the ones you mention are higher. Margin leverage - for US stocks as mentioned by Robert FINRA sets the overnight rules and maybe you'll find some firms offering more leverage but I suspect not if you have over 100K and qualify for a portfolio margin account where you are not subject to RegT and get the benefit of lower margins the more diverse your portfolio is.