Happy Indigenous Peoples Day !

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wrbtrader, Oct 11, 2021.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I have a strong connection with the Indigenous community in South Dakota, Chicago Illinois, Kentucky, and Arizona.

Growing up in a military family, we've always designated Columbus Day as Indigenous Day even with other soldiers that served with my old man in France, Kentucky, and continuing when we relocated to Chicago.
    • My grandmother (Lakota, Sioux) from South Dakota would always call us on Indigenous Day (formerly Columbus Day) no matter where we were located in the world to ensure its not forgotten...she did that for +30 years until her death.
    Chicago (my secondary residence) today has the third-largest urban Indigenous population in the United States, with more than 65,000 Native Americans in the greater metropolitan area and some 175 different tribes represented.

Happy Indigenous Day to all especially those that are serving or have proudly served in the United States Armed Forces.

Below is an article from last year.

Columbus-Day-Now-Indigenous-Day-3.png

In South Dakota, it’s Native Americans' Day, not Columbus Day

By KOTA Staff
    Published: Oct. 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM EDT

RAPID CITY, S.D. (KOTA) - South Dakota is one of 14 states that recognizes Oct. 12 as Native American Day, not Columbus Day.

And it’s been like this for years.

Gov. George Mickelson made the official call in 1990 that would rename Columbus Day to Native Americans' Day. This measure passed unanimously in the State Legislature. This came after a decision to seek reconciliation between Native and white people in the State.

South Dakota and 13 other states – Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Vermont and Wisconsin – plus the District of Columbia and more than 130 cities observe Indigenous Peoples Day instead of or in addition to Columbus Day.

Native American Day is an official state holiday on the fourth Friday in September in California. In Tennessee, American Indian Day is the fourth Monday in September.

Others have wanted to rename Columbus Day into “Exploration Day.”

In Rapid City, Native American day events are taking place. There will be a memorial walk at Sioux Park to honor children who died while attending the Rapid City Indian Boarding School. A groundbreaking ceremony for the future Remembering The Children Memorial took place after.

Mayor Steve Allender will join various speakers and guests, presenting a proclamation declaring Monday as The Day of the Grandmothers Unci Tha-anpetu.
    • In the proclamation, Mayor Allender indicates the existence of the Indian Boarding School in Rapid City is “a difficult piece of history to address, especially considering the children were the ones who ultimately suffered from its existence.”
    “Although difficult, it is our responsibility, and obligation in memory of these children, to continue addressing the controversial decisions made in our community’s past, which continue to trouble our present; and while we are unable to change the past, we are able to face the difficult truths head-on through honest dialogue and collaboration in an effort to forge a better tomorrow for all children in this community.”

The Remembering The Children website says the events are open to the public, will take place regardless of weather conditions and COVID precautions will be followed with attendees advised to wear masks and to observe social distancing, with hand sanitizer available at the Walk’s start and finish.

Goodbye, Columbus? Here's what Indigenous Peoples' Day means to Native Americans

October 11, 20213:47 AM ET
    Columbus-Day-Now-Indigenous-Day-4.png

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/11/1044823626/indigenous-peoples-day-native-americans-columbus

----------

wrbtrader

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  2. ipatent

ipatent

No reason not to celebrate it.

wrbtrader likes this.
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

We actually use to celebrate both...Indigenous Day and Columbus Day but there were not many celebrations as just Columbus Day until the community designated it as Indigenous Day.

I notice this change over in Kentucky as a youth when the entire community and military families from many diverse backgrounds would come out and celebrate Indigenous Day...something I never saw when it was known as Columbus Day.

wrbtrader

Bugenhagen likes this.
  4. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day#Latin_American_observance
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/25676072

5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

6. Overnight

Overnight

Not to rain on your pow-wow, but I notice you mention only Chicago as a city in the four states you typed.

South Dakota, Kentucky and Arizona do not have cities worthy of mention?

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's been mentioned many times here at ET...just without any specific details in this thread...I'm lazy tonight after a long day. :D

wrbtrader

8. Overnight

Overnight

Mreh. Enjoy your epsom-salt bath, old man.

9. Happy Columbus Day.

10. People just want a day off and a reason to go shopping for sales...

#10     Oct 12, 2021