Home > General Topics > Wall St. News > Hadron collider "Doomsday" didn't happen...

Hadron collider "Doomsday" didn't happen...

1. Anyones knows if some people sold yesterday on fears about the Hadron collider?

I went long yesterday, I must admit that I was a bit worried that it might turn into a mini-Chernobyl or something.
    Perhaps even a very small explosion or fire may have created panic, even if the fire wasn't related to atomic energy (i.e. a fire for overheating the electric system).

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/10/lhc.collider/index.html

2. I made sure I was flat going into today's trading. You don't want any open positions when the universe ends. :cool:

3. Technically it doesn't matter what you hold when the universe ends.:D

4. If the universe ends then you dont care whether you are long or not because there is no such thing as market and money anymore. its ilogical to sell because you think the world will end

5. Man, some people have NO sense of humor.

6. Thank you Dr. Spock

7. I wonder what happens after the universe ends.

8. Lehman rebounds.

9. You can do one of two things:

A. Fade the plunge by going long.
    If nothing happens, market will rebound and you'll make some money.
    If world ends, why you want money?

B. Wire out all funds in your account. Drink, spend it all, invite all your friends, expensive chicks; blow it up in one day, after all the world is coming to an end, who needs money being dead?
    But if doomsday doesn't happen -and it didn't- you'll have to collect food stamps and ask to be hired at the local Walmart.

10. The particle accelerator was only turned on. They haven't performed any attempted collisions yet, which is they big hoo-ha on the end of the world. Right now, it's essentially a giant merry-go-round for protons.

Once the tests are completed, they'll start smashing protons into each other and trying to create micro-black holes. That's when the world ends :)

Someone said they were going to try to create a stable stranglet. That'll be some neat shit. Maybe they can release it into the planet and watch it turn the earth into gobbly gook.

11. Another big bang.
    And the history repeats, altough it takes an enormous amount of time.

12. You never know, you may have to settle in the after life..

13. I live next to it and don't find this so amusing. It cost 6 Bln to build this monster and for what ? Understanding how the world was created ? Wow that will change our life !

Someone has got to stop this madness.

14. No..you want to be short...

15. Because it's cool.

16. good point Ivanovich! the darn machine may still explode when they really fire it off.

17. by the way, does anybody know why they call it 'Hardon Collider'?

18. Only soft particles can pass through it..:D

19. When scientists were researching what made up an atom people said that this was completely pointless and that there was no reason for us to be wasting money on this. It turns out the electron transformed the world economy. Just food for thought.

20. Nothing can go wrong.

If a black hole develops, it is only capable of sucking in all the sock puppet idiots and ET will be a nice place to post.

21. ... when a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

This is not a concern for strangelets in cosmic rays because they are produced far from Earth and have had time to decay to their ground state, which is predicted by most models to be positively charged, so they are electrostatically repelled by nuclei, and would rarely merge with them. But high-energy collisions could produce negatively charged strangelet states which live long enough to interact with the nuclei of ordinary matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet

Let's all pray that 6b $ won't be enough to buy some negatively charged strangelets, which could f*ck up everything.

22. :D :D :D
    [​IMG]

23. Except for the fact this time, the thing could blow up in their face
    and it's mostly about anti matter . So they can invent some new ways to destroy life on a massive scale ? Brilliant minds indeed.

24. IMO what they are trying to do is like smashing two expensive watches one against the other and trying to figure out how they are designed to operate.

At the end of the day I think this was a scheme by corrupted European educational system to suck money from state budgets since there is limited private funding of universities there.

Nothing will come out of it but many scientists they will believe they found something.

Remember guys: nobody has ever seen an electron or proton. These are just ideas that fit in mathematical model called the Standard Model of Physics. Nobody knows what is actually out there and how it operates. Probably, we will never know.

I'm happy if I make $500/day trading. Some people are paranoid and are happy to search for the universe inner workings. I think they are fools. Simply fools.

25. Who knows?
    Some time ago they said the earth was flat, and Columbus trip was a waste.
    They said the same thing about Thomas Alva Edison, Henry Ford, Wright bros, Bill Gates and many more.

Even if it's "useless" its Keynesianism, you Europeans need it badly.
    Europe is about to go into a deep, long lasting recession; ONLY Keynesianism may prevent it.

26. it might start the fall of religion

27. Physicist gone wild:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j50ZssEojtM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j50ZssEojtM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

28. Europe is already in a recession, the US is also in one as well.

29. The scientists have been building up to this for many years, for payback to the world, for decades of wedgies in school. The Hadron collider is a way all the scientists of the world say f*ck you to the humanity in the form of a giant payback wedgie to the planet

30. Paranoid. What they "see" is not an electron but the trace such a "particle" leaves on their recording apparatus. According to quantum mechanics, this trace or image is affected by the observation and observer. So what they "see" is a mixture of an electron and the observer expectation of what an electron looks like.

31. You may be giving too much credit to the geeks. They already tried f*cking up Van Allen belts but found that destroying Earth is not that easy. We may have more to fear from global warming caused by SUV driving soccer MILFS than from mad scientists.

32. There are SUVs on Mars? Who would have thought. :p

33. check your spelling: Hardon, not Hadron

:D

34. Cuz the Fitzgerald Contraction will make your "shortie" into a "longie"

35. good stuff!
    :D

36. it seems with Fitzgerald Contraction only the shrinkage is possible :(

L'=L*SQRT(1-v^2/c^2)

37. It depends on the observer's frame of reference. Bwaahaha.

38. One thing we can all be sure in regards to Hadron Collider:

Any breakthrough discovery that holds revolutionary answers to the toil of Mankind, will be quietly and surreptitiously filed away under the guise of "National Security" never to be heard from again.

Too much money in controlled paradigms to "let the cat out of the bag".

Geez, what would happen if all of a sudden the plebs became incredibly wealthy and uppity??

39. CERN has always had an open door policy. http://info.web.cern.ch/Press/PressReleases/Releases2005/PR04.05E.html

They even have a whole bunch of Chinese and Russian physicists there.

If there was any National Security stuff there to be discovered, it would have been done quietly at International Linear Collider in Geneva, IL.

40. you are correcting my spelling, you are lucky I dont give you a wedgie.

41. Maybe he spelt it right?
    http://largehardoncollider.com/

42. im actually quite concerned about this... almost to the point of going rouge and trying to blow it up......