H/L as % indicator

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by misterkel, May 5, 2018.

1. I'm looking for an indicator that gives H/L as a %age of stock price. Anybody know of such a thing?

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Not sure of your question, but I *think* you're describing any oscillator (Lane's stochastic, Money Flow Index, et al.) -- they're not so much *giving* H/L, as *utilizing* them as an overall package. And if you want it all on one graphing? Wilder's ADX/DMIs do great things.

3. Thanks. I'm actually looking for an indicator like ATR, but instead of absolute value, it gives % value. I want to how much a stock moves each day relative to its price.

4. comagnum

comagnum

Look for APTR (Average Percentage True Range), it is found on many platforms these days. The formula is (Average True Range/Close)*100.

If your platform does not have this you can setup a formula in Excel or Open Office, or do it by hand with a calculator - all you need is the ATR and last price.

In this example APTR gives the average daily percentage change over the last 10 days from stocks in the S&P100. upload_2018-5-5_10-50-12.png

5. Cool - found on TOS. Don't think IB has it. thanks.

comagnum likes this.