government bailout of FNM and FRE

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dafong, Sep 6, 2008.

1. No I do not work for them. Just went to the link and selected the "fact or fiction" options to see the answers.

#11     Sep 6, 2008
  2. Now that we've socialized the markets, how far fetched is it to think the next government purchase will be GM?

#12     Sep 8, 2008
  3. m22au

m22au

Not far fetched at all.

In the short term, I am more concerned about the US Treasury giving the auto companies low-interest loans, with zero shareholder penalty.

#13     Sep 8, 2008
  4. Could someone explain why government bailout of FNM and FRE causes their shares to plunge? Thanks.

#14     Sep 8, 2008
  5. GTS

GTS

#15     Sep 8, 2008
  6. This probably means we need more deregulation so we can have more S&L's Long-term Cap Mgmts, Enrons, subprimes etc.

Gov't intervention only works when it's time for the public to pay up.

#16     Sep 8, 2008
  7. how about those anii money managers that pissed customer $ away on the pref's and common.

they should be shot

#17     Sep 8, 2008
  8. Who gives the goverment the right to take over? By law? Share holders lose their shirts in this deal.

#18     Sep 8, 2008
  9. I've been wondering if they will use their control of the pursestrings to offer bailouts to individual homeowners. You know, like offer sweetheart deals to folks trapped in ARMs that want to refinance into 30 year fixed or make it super easy for people who are behind on their payments to put their default amount on the back-end of the loan?

If they did this, it would be super great for housing, IMHO.

SM

#19     Sep 9, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Prices SHOULD come down... they were fluffed up by reckless policies, so that "air" should be let out.

#20     Sep 9, 2008