GOOG

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by nitro, May 21, 2016.

1. nitro

nitro

Google's search results are becoming far less accurate than they used to be. The first page is basically advertisement. I used to do a search and almost all of the impact was in the first three pages. Now I have to dig into far deeper into the search results.

GOOG is being ruined by the need to generate revenue to the point where it is becoming Alta Vista.

2. OptionGuru

OptionGuru

• What do you mean by "The first page is basically advertisement" ?
    • I find Google search results to be very accurate and I rarely have to go to the 2nd page.

:)

3. Turveyd

Turveyd

I'd say Search side is the only part of there business which works well still, everything else major decline.

4. Number of Advertisers (especially small companies) are abandoning online advertisement due to the high coast - money spent on advertisement are not paid off and for small companies who cannot pay big $$$ for big advertisement it is critical. By saying that I did not notice increase advertisement in the search results. What I noticed they are trying to mask it stronger so it becomes more difficult for end user to separate adds from a search result. As any adds provider, Google wants us click on adds - that's where the money for Google are coming from. I will not be surprised if with time The top 10 will become a pure adds page - investors and shareholder are demanding an increase in profit...

I agree the search became worthier. In the most of the search results you will see the same websites like Wikipedia, investopedia and etc and you have to be extremely specific in a search query or you will get the same top 10 most of the time. I guess the number of the websites and online information became so big that even for Google it became difficult to correctly index all the information, to separate garbage from useful stuff and provide correct info to a user. Therefore, it is easier to index web info giants like Wikipedia, investopedia as the # 1 source and deliver it to you. Still, I would say in 90% of searches (at least for me) you are able to find what you are looking for.

The other bugging me thing that Google started to put a lot of useless (on my opinion) stuff (beside adds) in search results - like, definitions, related people and etc. Together with advertisement it makes search results messy. I missed clean, no adds, no garbage Google search we had 15 years ago. But realistically, we not goanna get it back. Before I was using Google exclusively, now it does not matter for me what to use. When I use chrome I use Google search, when I use IE I use Bing, when I use Firefox I use Yahoo - the quality of search results are the same.

5. Jamie J.

Jamie J.

As concerns this. Recently I've read a few thoughts that after a while Facebook could significantly go ahead than Google as the number of users is growing, and many are seeking information due to this platform. What do you think?

6. nitro

nitro

In my mind at least, the only thing that GOOG and FB have in common is they both use the same highway.

Unless FB builds a search engine, or GOOG goes into social media, I don't see them intersecting at all.

But what do I know, I don't really even understand why FB isn't a penny stock.

7. nitro

nitro

I am starting to believe that just like we needed Linux to free us from MSFT, we need an open source search engine to free us from GOOG. For profit corporations simply cannot be trusted, and I no longer trust GOOG to be impartial and just present the facts.

http://www.opensearchserver.com/
    http://wrg.upf.edu/WRG/dctos/Middleton-Baeza.pdf

As soon as more people start to believe this and more evidence is gathered, GOOG will become a juicy short just like MSFT was a few years ago.

Gotcha likes this.
  8. Turveyd

Turveyd

They tried with google+ but for a multi billion business they can't do user interfaces for smeg, minimilist crap = zero functionality.

Google maps, web and android have lost functionality aswell recently, or been tidied away :(

9. nitro

nitro

10. I like the company but its overpriced guys.

#10     Jun 16, 2016