Good place to get a suit in Manhattan?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by demoship, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I had a fortune cookie, it read:

A lawyer in a cheap suit is no bargian. (Enlsih was 2nd language at print shop)

#11     Apr 9, 2008
  2. George Zimmer, ceo of Men's Wearhouse said:
    "You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it."

[​IMG]

#12     Apr 9, 2008
  3. I wouldnt worry about your suit, but your overall attitude.

#13     Apr 9, 2008
  4. Last time I had an interview, I went out and got the most expensive suit I could afford. Had to haggle a bit, but the tailor and I reached an amicable agreement of 50% off the retail price.

Sure wish I had more money though. Company was not pleased by me showing up without the slacks.

#14     Apr 9, 2008
  5. apparently my best asset was not good enough.

and HR didn't like my response to "what do I bring to the table"

#15     Apr 9, 2008
  6. This thread brings back memories.

I Remember being broke in college and needing those first two suits for interviews (which I alternated every other day until I got my first paycheck). Bought those cheesy perry ellis portfolio white shirts too. By the way, you need two - or else everyone will know on your 3rd interview that you have only one suit.

I Hit Moe Ginsburg's down on 5th and 21st. Was able to pick up two suits for $250 and accoutrements. Reasonable suits, nothing splashy. Bought a pair of J&M aristocrafts for the INSANE price of $175 - they lasted me 12 years so for the price it was great although I thought I was nuts (hint - don't scrimp on the shoes). I had one Hermes tie that a particularly attractive upper east side socialite babe had gifted me. A killer tie is worth the $100.

I Was so embarrassed once I started work that I quickly took out a loan once employed from Man Han to buy clothes. Can you believe that?

Happiness was my first bonus and that sweet $800 beau brummel italian power suit.

Ahhh... it helps to look the part because it makes you feel the part. If moe's is still around you could check it out, although I make no material representations after the time span eluded to by above pricing.

Of course, if you're just loaded, I would reccomend Paul Stuart on Madison.

#16     Apr 9, 2008
  7. brooksbrothers

#17     Apr 9, 2008
  8. Barney's New York. If you let me know I'll call ahead and have my regular sales person have a selection ready for you before you get there.

#18     Apr 9, 2008
  9. No, this isn't a joke.

For the time and effort I'm going to spend interviewing, not to mention the days off I need to take to do so, I'm not going to walk in looking like shit.

I want a suit that looks sharp, and fits well.

I currently do NOT wear a suit to work, and I've lost a lot of weight since a year ago, so the one I have probably doesn't fit too well anymore.

If I get a new job that does require wearing suits to work, then I'll probably want something cheaper for an every day thing. I AM targeting an 80 - 100K base salary job, so I don't mind spending 2 - 3K on a nice interview suit (maybe more depending on how many rounds I need to go to), and 5 - 10K after that to buy a new wardrobe for everyday wearing.

Renting a suit seems like a crappy idea. I'm not doing just one interview, I'll probably be doing many, so it's not like I'm spending 2K on something to wear just once.

#19     Apr 10, 2008
  10. PM michaelscott (allenhobbs is what he goes by nowadays).

He is the resident style expert.

#20     Apr 10, 2008