Futures margin?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by webbma, Dec 19, 2007.

1. webbma

webbma

What kind of margin is normal for a retail futures account with a 25k - 50k deposit?

2. rwk

rwk

3. webbma

webbma

thanks...can you just interpret one thing for me. what does that mean for trading es as spec $4500. need to put up $4500 to buy 1 contract?

4. rwk

rwk

That is correct. Brokers are free to require more at any time, but they may not legally require less.

5. webbma

webbma

so...just to state the obvious to trade 10 contracts i wud need $45,000 in my account minimum.

6. Plus maintenance margin at $3600 per contract.

7. webbma

webbma

ok so 81k for 10 contracts. 45k initial marg and 36k maint.

8. rwk

rwk

Maintenance margin of $3600 means that you can have a $900 per contract drawdown before you get a margin call. Some brokers (e.g. IB) don't issue margin calls. They just dump your position without consulting you. Their standard agreement allows them to do this. You did READ that agreement didn't you?

9. This is not ENTIRELY true.

Brokers/clearing agents can require ANY AMOUNT, LOWER or HIGHER, for INTRADAY TRADING. Intraday meaning the position is closed by end of day, or more specifically, BEFORE the EXCHANGE daily accounting procedure takes place.

There are MANY brokerages that offer 50%, 25%, and even less of the EXCHANGE MINIMUM for INTRADAY TRADING. This is completely legal.

Good trading to all, and a Happy New Year!
    Osorico :)

10. No....Because I'm miles away from any possible margin calls.

#10     Dec 19, 2007