Futures Chart for 9/11

Discussion in 'Trading' started by julian0625, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Hello,

Could anybody post a chart of the ES or Dow futures around the time of the 9/11 attacks? I understand trading on the NYSE did not open that day, but I am curious what the initial reaction was on the futures, and when the futures were halted.

Thanks in advance!

Julian

2. T-REX

T-REX

I COULD JUST TELL YOU SINCE I WAS WORKING ON WALL STREET AT THE TIME. THE ES, NQ & YM FUTURES WERE MOVING SLIGHTLY HIGHER AS IF THE MARKET WAS GOING TO OPEN HIGHER AT 9:30AM EST NYSE OPEN. HOWEVER ONCE THE 1ST PLANE HIT MARKETS KINDA STOOD STILL A BIT THEN ONCE THE 2ND PLANE HIT AND THE NOW DECEASED NEWS ANCOR AT CNBC SHOUTED "WE ARE UNDER ATTACK"........"THAT WAS NO ACCIDENT". (HE WAS THE 1ST IN THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA TO MAKE THAT ANNOUNCEMENT!) THE FUTURES WHEN LIMIT DOWN. BACK IN THOSE DAYS THE FUTURES HAD CIRCUIT BREAKER LIMITS WHERE THE MARKET WOULD HALT TRADING FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES THEN RESUME TRADING. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE 300 POINTS IN THE DOW AND 65 POINTS IN THE ES & NQ FUTURES. SO THE MARKETS STAYED LIMIT DOWN FOR OVER FIVE MINUTES. THEN AFTER ABOUT 15 MINUTES OR SO THEY WERE LET OFF LIMIT AND PROCEEDED TO CRASH. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECT THE FUTURES WENT LOCK LIMIT (THERE REALLY WAS NO LOCK LIMIT BUT THIS IS WERE THEY LOCKED UP AND CEASED TRADING). THE DOW WAS LIKE DOWN 600 PTS, ES & NQ WERE DOWN OVER 100 POINTS. ALL THE FOREX CURRENCIES WENT BALLISTIC! THE BRITISH POUND WAS OFF THE CHARTS. SOMETHING LIKE $10,000 FOR EVERY US DOLLAR. GOLD AND SILVER WENT PRICELESS AND ALL CHARTS WERE LITERALLY OF THE CHARTS! THEN WITHOUT WARNING THE HEAD OF THE NYSE CAME ON TV AND SAID THAT'S IT! STOP TRADING! THE US MARKETS WERE CLOSED IMMEDIATELY AND ALL ORDERS WERE BUSTED AND ERASED AS IF IT NEVER HAPPENED. THAT'S WHY ITS DIFFICULT IF NOT NEAR TO IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ACTUAL CHARTS FROM THAT PERIOD!

3. Wow! I've never heard of that, that's insane! Thanks for sharing!

4. T-REX

T-REX

NO PROBLEM. ITS SOMETHING I WILL NEVER FORGET.

ONE MORE THING. AFTER ONE WEEK THEY REOPENED THE MARKET AND THE MARKETS SOLD OFF ALL WEEK. THEN ONCE THE SP 500 HIT SOMEWHERE AROUND 937 (I KNOW IT WAS 900'S I JUST CANT RECALL THE EXACT NUMBER) THE MARKETS DID A "V" SHAPE RECOVERY AND THE ES FUTURES RALLIED OVER 100 OFF THAT LOW IN A SINGLE DAY! THE FED THEN RAN NUMEROUS ADD CAMPAIGNS SAYING HOW "UNPATRIOTIC" IT WAS TO SELL SHORT THE FINANCIAL MARKETS. LOL. ANOTHER THING I REMEMBER IS WHEN THE DOW FUTURES RALLIED OVER 1,200 POINTS IN ONE DAY IN 2008 ON LIGHT VOLUME. LOL:D IM SURE MOST PEOPLE FORGOT THAT TOO.

5. Thanks for posting.

I read through 100's of Yahoo posts back when you could search Yahoo finance by date and was surprised by the lack of info.

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

There was a thread here where someone posted charts of the Emini Futures the morning before they went limit down and charts when the markets open after the tragedy.

I myself have real-time video of continuous streaming Emini futures charts, Oil CL futures and Gold GC futures, recorded chat room discussions in two particular popular free chat rooms at the time along with video of CNBC, Fox news and Blomberg news as everything unfolded...all stored away now on several DVDs from my own personal archives of that horrible day.

I've only looked at it once late December that year but haven't looked at it since then nor do I have any plans on reviewing the info again.

Mark

7. T-REX

T-REX

WOW I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT. COULD YOU POST IT ON YOUTUBE?

NO WORRIES THOUGH I BELIEVE IT WILL PLAY OUT ONCE AGAIN IN THE NOT TO DISTANT FUTURES.:(

8. Same here! If you could post it that would be fantastic! If not, its alright.

Yea thats the sad thing... its a question of when it will happen again :( .

9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Your caps is STUCK ON :(

I can't post DVD stuff on youtube...each DVD is 4 gigs worth of info that cover about 52 hours of recordings. Simply, it's too large. In addition, my trading platform, account info is clearly visible in the recorded video along with audio that includes my phone conversation to relatives as we discussed in shock what was occurring.

A few years ago I did see a few videos posted on youtube...no more than 5 minutes long that showed the futures going limit down. You may be able to find it if you look hard enough assuming it wasn't removed by the poster.

Mark

10. Daily 500 and DJ

• 911.png
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
    #10     Jul 26, 2011