Futures Account with insurance?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TGregg, Jan 20, 2015.

1. TGregg

TGregg

All this Swiss flavored excitement got me to wondering, is there any broker that offers 3rd party (governmental or otherwise) insurance/guarantees for futures accounts? AIR, if TradeStation or IB went under, futures accounts would be at risk.

2. Never ever ever maintain more funds in a futures account than is absolutely needed to trade yoyr stategy. Minimum day trade margin preferred. Sweep out excess consistently into insured bank account. surf

3. TGregg

TGregg

Thanks Surf. That could make for an interesting comparison, commissions and margins `tweenst all the brokers. Not to have maximum leverage on a tiny stake but to minimize risk in this financial world that looks increasingly black swanish.

marketsurfer likes this.
  4. Don't over leverage and you will be fine, if you account was destroyed by one big currency move then you had it coming anyway because you where over sized on 1 position

5. TGregg

TGregg

I believe you have misunderstood. I do not trade currencies. I do not overleverage. I am not worried about trading failures on my part, but about my brokers going under because of overleveraged cowboys and taking my futures accounts with them.

6. Ha ha I see what you mean, sorry

7. TGregg

TGregg

No worries. This Swiss thing has a lot of people on edge. Man, I can't believe they just went ahead and did that without any warning at all. Have they never watched Greenie, Benjie or . . . uhm. . .Yellie? Yeller? Sheesh. Who picked this broad as Chair?

8. TGregg

TGregg

Wow, someplace called Apex Futures with $500 ES day margins. Just reading that made me think about a Tums. JFC, people are crazy.

9. mmt

mmt

there are lots of firms offering low day trading margins. Some offer less than $500 for the ES

10. TGregg

TGregg

Man that is scary. But not if you are apropos. If you have the money at the ready to trade on thin margins, then all is well. But "I pity the fool" who thinks "Swell, I can scale up to 100 contracts on my 50k early buyout! I did three trades last week and one made money, this is easy stuff!"

#10     Jan 20, 2015