Funny Trading Stories

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kmiklas, Jul 21, 2019.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

What is your funniest trade, or trading story you’ve got or ever heard? I’ll start with one

Iwas scalping down to the last second of a trading day, and waited until 3:59:57 to dump my position. In the heat of the moment, I got mixed up, forgot that I was short. Instead of covering, clicked “SELL SELL SELL...” until I’d margined up to my max, and the clock flipped to 04:00:00. Market closed!

My scream of “SHIT!!!” must have been heard for miles around.

Terrified that it might move against me and I’d get hit with a margin call, I scrambled to unwind the position in after-hours trading, and I took a real beating.

It did move against me the next day, and upspiked at the open. I would have been clobbered, margin-called. At the time I was close to the 25k limit, and also would have gone below and had my account limited to 3 trades in 5 days. Eek!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Well I just read a thread about a man who analyze the market with moon phases and zodiac:D:D

3. padutrader

padutrader

would that be Warren Buffet:D

Jfranco_2003 likes this.
  4. I've done the buy instead of sell thing too. Never went my way surprisingly enough

5. If I'd made a movie of my early experiences in trading, people would die laughing. Upside-down verticals... painstakingly setting up stop market orders, checking them twice - and then clicking 'Sell' instead of sending it as a stop-market... rolling an iron condor for the first time, and then realizing that the roll (i.e., a short put condor) went to the wrong account - so I still had an IC with a put side about to go ITM, a condor with ~$40k worth of exposure if the price went against me, and a market that had just closed for the weekend...

The thing that REALLY chapped my ass (at first) was that my paper-trading experiences were barely worth anything at all. Once you've got skin in the game, everything changes. Then it changes again once you start scaling up.

VPhantom and kmiklas like this.
  6. guru

guru

You have no idea how often algo developers yell “Eureka! I found the holy grail! I’m a billionaire!”. Only to be brought back to earth after they find a bug in their algo or the data.
    Of course this doesn’t apply to me since I don’t have any bugs.
    Wait a sec, my algo shows it would’ve made 1000% ytd! Wtf?! Eureka! I can’t believe this! Finally! I knew I’ll make it and it was only question of time! I’m a billionaire!

VPhantom, Snuskpelle, fan27 and 2 others like this.
  7. Metamega

Metamega

That’s a funny classic. His trading method reminds me of someone betting on horses.

VPhantom, GregorySG9, fan27 and 2 others like this.
  8. Nobert

Nobert

Don't be so skeptical,

Sagittarius is fighting animal, so people born under it are good at shorting resistance, Leo is a king of al beasts, very fast, so people under this sign are good at trading gaps.

As @Turveyd said Uranus planet is deep and addictive, so for people born under that planet, it's better to stay long in index and forget trading.

:D

To be honest, im taking screenshots, from time to time, the funniest ones in the forum, no bullying, just a funny stuff, maybe il share them, once i got more.

,,Funny story'' : last year, none of my demos working, me - checking internet cables, doing all crazy stuff, sending mails to platform providers with noob questions, for 2 hours, to find out what's happening. Turns out to be - Thanksgiving Day.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  9. Lol hahahahahahahaa funny.

My funny trading story was trying to buy stock on a Saturday when I first start investing

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  10. I see you've followed my threads over time.

#10     Jul 21, 2019
    guru and kj5159 like this.