France is low in science??!?!?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by blueraincap, Dec 9, 2019.

1. dartmus likes this.
  2. I don't know anything about HK and Korea but in Japan and Sg, the favoured test method in school is MCQ. So students are very at ease with this kind of testing method used during their school year.
    In France and some other European countries, the way you obtain the result is often more important than the result itself. For national tests, you can't get the points if your demonstration is wrong even though result is right.
    Hence, they are not as comfortable in QCM testing like PISA for which speed and guessing are important factors.

3. the test format though plays a part, can't explain it

4. Then tell us how you explain it!

5. someone familiar/experienced with french education please comment, no random ignorant mouth please

6. I am French, dumb ass!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  7. luisHK

luisHK

France is better known for Maths than science education afaik, only a few years back it wasn´t too hard for good Maths students in France to get offers overseas.
    Can´t say I follow every new study coming out but what I gathered France education has become less and less egalitarian over the last decades, with average french kids going down in international rankings while the elite (usually linked to family socio economic standings) still fare well.
    Yet I have some french friends with solid economic means and kids coming from solid Parisian schools and overseas french schools who moved to Belgium and at least until high school, they find the Maths curriculum significantly tougher there, we might follow them...

dartmus likes this.
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Lol, that dude Bluieraincap might have had a solid theoretical science education but he seems completely lost at analyzing real life situations.

GregorySG9 likes this.
  9. Banjo

Banjo

10. Sig

Sig

Pretty intellectually dishonest article, quite frankly. For example, Columbia is pushing teachers to have students evaluate themselves in addition to their professor assigned grades as an opportunity to improve the students ability to self-assess, not replace professor assigned grades with self assessed grades as the author implies even though he knows better. Turns out, the ability to accurately self assess may be far more valuable as a life skill then, say some of the more arcane corners of Soils Mechanics or English Literature. And what do you know but Columbia graduates do comparatively pretty damn well in life when stacked up against schools where apparently neither the concept of self assessment or intellectual honesty are emphasized....like the one the author apparently attended.

#10     Dec 10, 2019