For those of you who use multiple TFs to trade

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by trendlines6, Sep 26, 2017.

1. For those of you to use multiple TFs for your trading and use a moving average to determine a direction of trading (bias), do you use just 1 of the TFs to determine a bias or do you use a MA on both/multiple TFs to filter a bias down even more? I've experimented with both, and obviously using MAs on multiple TFs to determine a direction to trade filters out a lot more "opportunity" to trade during the session as opposed to using just 1 TF for a MA bias.

Also, curious if any of you who trade use multiple TFs will use 1 TF for just a direction bias, and the other for trading off of. And if anyone uses 1 TF for entering and another for exiting. Do you enter on the upper TF and exit on the lower or vice versa?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

2. speedo

speedo

I use 3 tf's with 3 ma's each. My setup is the same for each tf although there are variations of the setup. I will most often enter on the smallest as the stops have to be placed too far on the others. My targets are based on average maximum favorable excursion so that is set on my ATM at entry. There is often tf conflict so I use an oscillator along with the ms's to filter the signals.

3. I trade multiple time frames. I use a longer time frame for signal and use a shorter time frame for entry and exit. The shorter time frame allows me to exit quicker. I expect my trading signals to develop quickly. If they don't I exit quickly. I miss out on slow developing trades, but that's OK since I am a momentum trader.

4. sss12

sss12

@speedo @swingtrader123 Are you using options as the vehicle for the swing trade ? If so, how far out to expiry/DTE ? Thanks

5. Yes, I use options. If I am buying options, I would select ATM, about 30 days out. If I am selling options, I would select OTM delta of 20 or less, 60+ days out.

sss12 likes this.
  6. speedo

speedo

No, equity index futures and only day trades.

sss12 likes this.
  7. I tried day trading options on index futures, but my returns were less than outright futures trades.

8. sss12

sss12

Thanks, that's pretty much the expiry I use. Follow up...concerning stops, do you use a percentage loss on the option contract or a technical level on the underlying ? Thanks

9. Always use technical stops

sss12 likes this.