filter for seasonal spreads

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TraDaToR, Jun 8, 2010.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Really interesting post Il Principe, is there some good books on commercial hedging ?

It's difficult to take so much criteria into account for a trading decision. You must be in this game for a long time to quickly get the whole picture out of it. I will look into it.

Thanks.

#11     Jun 10, 2010
  2. Il Principe

Il Principe Guest

A.) For your purposes, I'd look first at the CME website, plenty of educational papers about spreads If you want more depth, there are a few books on grain merchandising and I'm sure many more on cash energy.

B.) It certainly is difficult to absorb, initially, and working within that cash/futs environment certainly is an advantage. When a commodity sale is made, for example, one trading decision(a short) has simultaneously been made. The next decision is the buy: should they cover now, should they wait for a break in futs or is it covered via existing inventory? Easier to manage your book when a decision on one spread leg is made for you.

C.) But don't get discouraged and don't assume all the cash info in the world will make you or any producer a great spreader. Everyone's trying to call future price/spread levels, no? And sometimes shite(weather/poor quality/your ship sinks) happens; the essence of trading.

D.) At the very least, give yourself a basic, top-down picture, look at it over 5yrs/10 yrs, compare it to spread levels. No need to get too deep, initially, just gives you a better understanding when analyzing spreads statistically.

#12     Jun 10, 2010
  3. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

OK thanks for the useful advice. I will read as much as I can on this subject. I need to understand more about basis trading.

#13     Jun 11, 2010
  4. bunkinc

bunkinc

Indeed lotta work to be a spread trader... that's why they have the biggest houses!

#14     Jun 12, 2010