Film Reviews: "Broke: The New American Dream"

Discussion in 'Events' started by Trend Following, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting - according to Sand's website he is still flogging the Original Rules:

This letter is your invitation to meet with me face-to-face to learn the exact same Turtle
    trading system which made my fortune.

Presumably he has not heard they have died either. despite the fact he says they made him his fortune. My, my what a strange old world it is.

Nor does he appear to have heard that Curtis Faith made them available for free and they can be tracked down with the aid of Google and a few mouse clicks.

#161     Nov 2, 2009
  2. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

If free rules was all great trading amounted to Curtis Faith would not have seen his money management firm end up in a CFTC investigation. That investigation (and subsequent permanent bar) revealed that Faith's firm was embezzled by an employee who was using client money to buy barbie dolls (can't make this up). It also revealed Faith's firm was using the Donchian system to trade client monies. Not only was there embezzlement, but there was awful performance. At the end of the day there is far more going on with the Turtles than "rules" -- emotional and entrepreneurial intelligence plays a huge role. You won't hear this from Garner as he is an apologist for Faith who would like to pretend all of this doesn't exist.

If you are new to Turtle myth you may want to take a look at Chapters, 11, 12, 13 and the Afterword here.

#162     Nov 2, 2009
  3. No, there really is nothing more going on at all. All you need are the bare rules which you can find using Google and searching for "The Original Turtle Trading Rules" and a good back testing engine. With the program I use the rules are pre-programmed for you by Curtis Faith. You will find that System 1 simply does not work any more. System 2 does not work well either. Both can however be improved by a little ingenuity.

I also recommend Faith's excellent book "Way of the Turtle" which can be found on Amazon.

It is sad that his fund ended in disaster. I have no knowledge of Curtis' trading prowess during his Turtle days - some say he won big, some say he did not.

No, as I have patiently explained before I have no association with Curtis.

I am glad Michael finds me useful. I find him useful too. Some of his assertions have prompted me to sharpen up my research and test things out further.

There is no harm in having differences of opinion - those differences are after all what makes a market.

#163     Nov 2, 2009
  4. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

The background on Faith's fund that was nailed by the CFTC is here. I would also ask, since there are plenty of places to debate with me on ET, to leave this as a spot for film related matters.

#164     Nov 2, 2009
  5. Ah, my apologies. Certainly.

#165     Nov 2, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.